Jul 19, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
The Lakers, Magic and Cavaliers are still talking about a blockbuster three-team deal that would send Dwight Howard to the Lakers, Andrew Bynum to the Cavaliers, and Anderson Varejao and picks to Orlando (there are other players in that deal as well).
But while fans (particularly Lakers fans) have raced out in front wanting this to happen yesterday, the sides are still not close to a deal.
Case in point, Andrew Bynum’s agent said he has not yet heard from the Cleveland Cavaliers, the place he would be sent and be expected to sign an extension should a deal go down. From Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon-Journal.
Andrew Bynum’s agent, David Lee, told me he has had zero conversations with #Cavs GM Chris Grant about a possible trade. “I would imagine any team involved in this trade would be smart enough to talk to us,” Lee said, referring to the fact Bynum is entering the final year of his deal.
A few key points here:
1) That the Cavaliers have not formally reached out to Bynum and his agent is different than saying some back-channel communications have not taken place. This deal would be dead in the water if Bynum said no to committing to the Cavaliers long term, the fact the sides are all still talking shows there is something there. Now, a back channel “yes, we’re interested” and pen to paper on a contract are very different things.
2) Bynum (and Howard) likely would not sign an extension to their current deals, they would play out the year and become a free agent with the commitment they would re-sign with the team. The reason is money and length of guaranteed years — sign an extension now they can get three years added on to next season, play out this season and re-sign with the team they are on and they get five years with larger raises each year. What the Lakers and Cavaliers want is a commitment, if they want an actual extension they will be disappointed.
3) The fact that the Cavs have not had formal conversations yet show this deal is not imminent, which is what I’ve been saying for days.
Notice this also: The leaks that are coming out are people close to Dwight Howard himself and people in Cleveland — the two sides that most want to get this deal done.
The Magic continue to be very patient. To the frustration of a lot of fans.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 28
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16