Andray Blatche: “I apologize for the effort I gave out there”

Jul 19, 2012, 8:41 AM EDT

Andray Blatche has been amnestied by the Washington Wizards — they were willing to pay $23 million dollars to have him leave the roster and go somewhere else. That’s a harsh reality.

They caught up with him at CSNWashington.com and talked to him about his time with the Wizards. The key part was his response to the Wizards fans that started to boo him last season.

“I apologize for the effort I gave out there, it wasn’t enough.”

A lot of Wizards fans just nodded.

Blatche will get a chance to win over a new set of fans somewhere in the NBA, some team will pick him up and tell him the slate is wiped clean. But the benefit of the doubt he got in Washington from Ernie Grunfeld and the fans will be gone. Now it’s on him to win them over.

1. shockexchange - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Sounds like the Wall St. titans – Lloyd Blankfein, Dick Fuld, John Mack, Jamie Dimon, et. al – who apologized for their roles in the financial crisis, yet never gave back their billions in bonuses. The public is not interested in your contrition.

2. saint1997 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Easy to say now

3. paulhargis53 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

He’s a freaking kid. It’s not like this hasn’t happened with players 100 times over.
    Some of you people on your high horses sicken me.

I’m sure you all are doing your job to your full capability while posting on this website…..
    Quit being jealously hypocritical.

• grazhoppa - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

That is a pretty good point you got there about people posting from work while condescending to Blatche for not giving a full effort. Heck, I’m at work right now too!

• phaden27 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Only if you quit first. Your own statement, “this hasn’t happened with players 100 times over.” Sarcasm correct? You’d think by the 101st time they wouldn’t have paid another dip all that money, now wouldn’t you?

• siege102 - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

and I’m sure most of us not doing our job to our full capacity are getting paid 7 million plus a year also

4. borderline1988 - Jul 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Even in that interview, the guy keeps talking about having fun.

The problem is that we’re all waiting for Blatche to get serious for once in his life. Obviously, you need to have fun as well. But this is a guy who never gave it his all, and never seemed to be in top shape fitness-wise.
    He should spend the entire summer in the gym, rather than ‘relaxing’ as he said in the interview. I hope my team isn’t the one to give him a second chance…

5. dgforreal - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I’m sure it was just nervousness, but chuckling during a conversation about getting canned strikes me as odd.

Then again if I got canned with 23 mil in severance maybe I’d be laughing also.

6. rockthered1286 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM

@paulhargis
    Are you freakin serious?! Blatche was getting paid MILLIONS to play a GAME. And regardless of age he’s been in the league for quite some time now and has not changed his behavior. He’s a pathetic excuse of a pro athlete who got by on potential and one good season. I’m elated he’s out of the district and wish any foolish team that picks him up the best of luck because he’s already got his money and I don’t seem him putting forth any more effort than he has to this point.

And yes people do give their full effort at their jobs because not everyone is making excessive money and instead working to keep food on the table and bills paid, not to mention getting fired means no more money unlike the Nba where Blatche is getting paid regardless of being booted from the team. Think before you speak buddy.

7. allinskins - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Walking away with 23 mil to go home and play play station is laughable. I am actually saying this as a Wiz fan. Erie should catch a cab with him out of town!

8. bcjim - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

{Vomit}

9. phaden27 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

What effort?

• scalfor3 - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM

beat me to it hahah

10. alildusty - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM

@rockthered1286

When you give a young kid that kind of money they can easily lose your focus and motivation .

Still I’m not sure if he’ll change with that free payday. If it was smaller owed amount he might start losing his entourage/lifestyle but with 23 million still coming in….I just don’t know if he’ll be motivated to prove himself and work hard.

He might think that even if he does NOTHING for the next two years some team will be willing to still pay him some kind of lower end contract like 1-3 million per year based on potential they might still see (esp. since he’s a big man).

11. paulhargis53 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Thank you all for proving my point.

Mindless zombies.

Can’t wait for this kid to light it up for a different team.

So quick to kick them when they are down.

This planet needs a plague in the worst way. There are too many of you cynical, hateful morons running around out there.

Bring on Captain Trips!

• shockexchange - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

^^ I hear Depaul is looking for players.

• phaden27 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Oh he’ll be lighting up, that’s for sure.

12. gmen4trophies - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

So Paul, we either feel sorry for somebody who got $23M severance to just go away and he admitted under performance of his contract (at best), or you are ready to call for a plague on the entire human race. Call the Meds wagon right away and don’ t shortchange yourself, or are you the kid’s cousin or something. Mindless Zombies indeed.

13. Mr. Jones - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Reblogged this on Sports w/ KJ.

14. bougin89 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I’m not a Wizards fan, but as an NBA fan in general I’d like to say apology not accepted.

This guy is a turd.

15. paulhargis53 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

His salary compared to yours has nothing to do with it! It’s an idiotic comparison. You’re justifying screwing off at work because you don’t make millions? Uff.
    You’re basically calling a guy out for not earning his pay, while you’re doing the exact same thing- hypocritical.

No. Not related to the guy.

I just find it sickening that everyone is so ready to jump on these guys. He underperformed, BFD!

It’s happened hundreds of times across all sports. A change of scenery sometimes works wonders.

I’m not calling for a playground just because of this 1 item you silt.

Do you read half the crap that is spewed on this whole website?

You’ve got PSU fans defending Paterno. You’ve got racist idiots.
    You have anti homosexuals spewing ignorance. All in the name of sports fandom.

It’s a microcosm of society in general. The USA used to be a great country. Now its filled with undereducated hate filled people.
    It’s a me 1st instant gratification society.

People on here just can’t wait for things such as this, or worse to happen, so they can all pile on and rip the person. All so they can feel better about themselves. It’s pathetic.
    I’m sure this guy cares if you accept his apology or not.
    You need to just admit your jealousy. Instead of improving yourselves, which is hard. You’d rather rip on a guy for admitting a fault.
    So yes, with the way society is today, a playground like Tubeneck would not be the worst thing.

16. playin2x - Jul 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

@paulhargis
    Everyone has their own opinion that doesn’t make them mindless … Clown keep ur trap shut if u dont like it ..

17. paulhargis53 - Jul 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM

It makes you mindless if you are wrong, and you most certainly are.

If Blatche goes to a team with a strong veteran core, you are going to see a totally different player. It’s happened time and again in the NBA. You tools are always so quick to crap on guys. It’s out of pure jealousy.

Bring on Captain Trips, the world has gone into the crapper. This website is a microcosm of what’s wrong. Uneducated idiots.

18. jkaflagg - Jul 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Nothing against this guy personally, obviously an immature guy on a team full of knuckleheads…..it would be great if he finds the right situation and fulfills his potential, but I question if he can summon up the motivation considering that he gets big bucks no matter what….

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches