Jul 18, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:36 pm: You can add the Heat and other teams to the list, as Yahoo’s Mark Spears has updated his tweet:
Front runners for free agent center Darko Milicic are Miami, Clippers, Chicago and Brooklyn, source tells Y! Sports.
12:29 pm: Darko Milicic is a free agent. You can get him. The Minnesota Timberwolves used their amnesty clause on him and no team under the cap bid to take over a portion of his contract. He can sign anywhere he wants.
And while he might be manna from heaven for a European squad, he wants to stay in the NBA. And according to Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports he has some pretty high profile suitors.
Frontrunners for free agent center Darko Milicic are Boston, Brooklyn and LA Clippers, league source tells Y! Sports.
Why are these teams lining up? Because it actually makes sense. In each of those cases he would play limited minutes off the bench and be paid the veteran minimum. At that price and for a year (or second with team option), Darko is serviceable. It’s when you pay him a big four-year contract and start him that you look foolish. But he can provide some respectable minutes off the bench, and each of those teams have their starting front lines already set.
Just something to watch — a really good team is going to add Darko.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 13
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 12
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16