Jul 18, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:36 pm: You can add the Heat and other teams to the list, as Yahoo’s Mark Spears has updated his tweet:
Front runners for free agent center Darko Milicic are Miami, Clippers, Chicago and Brooklyn, source tells Y! Sports.
12:29 pm: Darko Milicic is a free agent. You can get him. The Minnesota Timberwolves used their amnesty clause on him and no team under the cap bid to take over a portion of his contract. He can sign anywhere he wants.
And while he might be manna from heaven for a European squad, he wants to stay in the NBA. And according to Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports he has some pretty high profile suitors.
Frontrunners for free agent center Darko Milicic are Boston, Brooklyn and LA Clippers, league source tells Y! Sports.
Why are these teams lining up? Because it actually makes sense. In each of those cases he would play limited minutes off the bench and be paid the veteran minimum. At that price and for a year (or second with team option), Darko is serviceable. It’s when you pay him a big four-year contract and start him that you look foolish. But he can provide some respectable minutes off the bench, and each of those teams have their starting front lines already set.
Just something to watch — a really good team is going to add Darko.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 44
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 42
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5