Jul 18, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:36 pm: You can add the Heat and other teams to the list, as Yahoo’s Mark Spears has updated his tweet:
Front runners for free agent center Darko Milicic are Miami, Clippers, Chicago and Brooklyn, source tells Y! Sports.
12:29 pm: Darko Milicic is a free agent. You can get him. The Minnesota Timberwolves used their amnesty clause on him and no team under the cap bid to take over a portion of his contract. He can sign anywhere he wants.
And while he might be manna from heaven for a European squad, he wants to stay in the NBA. And according to Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports he has some pretty high profile suitors.
Frontrunners for free agent center Darko Milicic are Boston, Brooklyn and LA Clippers, league source tells Y! Sports.
Why are these teams lining up? Because it actually makes sense. In each of those cases he would play limited minutes off the bench and be paid the veteran minimum. At that price and for a year (or second with team option), Darko is serviceable. It’s when you pay him a big four-year contract and start him that you look foolish. But he can provide some respectable minutes off the bench, and each of those teams have their starting front lines already set.
Just something to watch — a really good team is going to add Darko.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21