Jul 18, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
It’s not quite Dwight Howard… actually, he’s nothing like Dwight Howard. Especially if you talk defense.
But it is a better signing than a lot of people realize.
Jamison was given a heavy offensive responsibility with a terrible Cavaliers team last season and averaged 17.2 points (on just 40.3 percent shooting) and 6.8 boards a game. He shot 34.1 percent from three, and had a PER of 16.1, above the league average.
This season, he can come in off the bench, play fewer minutes and shoot a higher percentage letting the offense come to him because the Lakers have no shortage of other offensive weapons opposing defense have to account for (Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, and every fourth game Metta World Peace).
The only concern for Lakers fans should be that Jamison is a one-way player any more — the Cavaliers defense got 8 points per 100 possessions better when he sat down last season.
Still, smart pickup by the Lakers. Good veteran player who can help out at an affordable price. The kind of pickup contending teams make.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 52
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (80)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (64)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights