Reheated rumor: Cavaliers reportedly back as third team in Howard to Lakers trade

Jul 18, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT

Dwight Howard

You spin me right round, baby; right round like a record, baby; Right round round round…

I wish the Dwight Howard trade were dead or alive.

Instead it keeps limping along in unlikely incarnations as the Lakers make one more push for it before throwing in the towel and talking to Andrew Bynum about a max extension. Which is going to start happening soon. But they are making one more push.

Ric Bucher of ESPN has the latest rumor, which is really the same as an old rumor pulled out and thrown in the toaster oven, reheated for your consumption. And even he tells you maybe you don’t want to swallow this.

The Cleveland Cavaliers may have inched ahead of the Houston Rockets as a facilitator in a potential trade that would send Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources said Wednesday. One source familiar with the talks, though, cautioned not to make too much of that shift just yet…

The Cavaliers would land Lakers center Andrew Bynum for a package of draft picks and veteran power forward Anderson Varejao, according to one league source. The Lakers would receive Howard for Bynum. Orlando would get Varejao and draft picks. The source said this was merely the framework of a deal being discussed.

And we’re back to the stumbling blocks. Who takes on Jason Richardson and his oversized contract? Bynum has listed Cleveland as one of the teams he would re-sign with — to make a very nice pick-and-roll combo with Kyrie Irving — but Cleveland will want a commitment not just pretty words. The Lakers reportedly will move ahead thinking they can win Howard over, commitment or not.

And since the Magic are going to flip Varejao in this scenario, those had better be some sweet draft picks and a whole lot of them.

Despite what Laker fans are trying to talk themselves into — and no doubt this would be a good trade for them, Howard is a considerable upgrade over Bynum — this is about as close to reality right now as my 8-year-old daughter swimming in the Olympics in eight years. (If you’re wondering how close that is, she has my genes and I’m a blogger.)

1. bankai78 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM

That last paragraph gave me a good laugh. Well done.

• dandaman02 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I’m in the same boat. I did make me chuckle a bit also

• grhopper - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Don’t ask me how, but when all is said and done in about a year, Howard will end up in Cubanville w/ a long term max deal…period, end of discussion.

• Miami305 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Is “Cubanville” supposed to be an insult? Cubans have made Miami what it is; one of the greatest cities in the world. Plus, we have 2 NBA championships under our belt and ready to win more!!

Cuba Libre! Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!

• surefooted1 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Or maybe he was talking about, I don’t know…some team owned by a guy named Cuban in Texas.

2. moseskkim - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

STOP! When is this dwightmare going to end??

• paleihe - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Stop clicking the link if you REALLY aren’t that interested.

3. pl4tinum514 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

This trade makes less sense than any of its predecessors. The Nets trade sounded decent, and the Rockets deal was retardedly good for Orlando. I doubt the Cavaliers are going to want to give up too many young players or picks at this point since they are rebuilding themselves. I don’t see how this would work. Orlando would be getting a much worse deal here in my opinion than the Rockets deal…

• camnellum12 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I know, all those young players and picks, what more can you ask for?

• pudgalvin - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

If Orlando trades who I think is the 3rd best player in the NBA after Lebron and Durant for Anderson Varejo and some draft picks while helping make another eastern conference team better, they might as well just shut the franchise down.

• danfrommv - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Revenue sharing…why would you shut the franchise down when you are all but guaranteed to make a profit, no matter who you play or how many games you lose?

• aboogy123456 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Third best player in the NBA is chris paul, after kobe and lebron.

• ljl2 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The Magic want picks, not the Nets max contract players. The Nets deal was awful for the Magic.

4. camnellum12 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

After seeing Dwight saying “I’m not fully recovered yet; I can’t even run yet” on his Twitter, it would be stupid if Buss and Kupchak accepts this. Laker Nation thinks that Dwight will look great on the P&R with Nash, think again, the man can’t even run and the season starts in 3 months and some weeks. We Laker fans won’t get the Howard from 2010, it’ll be a lesser version of him. And I hope Bynum gets that extension and accepts it, I want Howard to get booed in Orlando for a whole season, he’s the dummy that signed the extension to stay for an extra year.

• knightrider1755 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

If you believe that tweet from Howard, you’ll believe anything. Howard is playin’ hallball with the Magic. He knows everyone is following his tweets including Rob Hennigan.

• camnellum12 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Considering I suffered the same injury as Howard (but I didn’t opt for surgery), he’s telling the truth. It takes at least a year to try and get your explosiveness to return to your back. And in those same tweets, Howard stated he went from nice guy to a–hole, which is true, we’re only hearing things from the Magic organization and the media, hardly from Howard’s mouth.

5. paulhargis53 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I hope this trade goes through, the Lakers fall short this year( it WILL happen) and Howard walks next year. That would be the best thing ever to happen to this fanbase.

I don’t hard Kobe or the team. It’s the pompous, moronic, loudmouth, know nothing fanbase I detest.

• obijuan13 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Because every other fan base is humble, brilliant, soft-spoken and knows it all, right?

• danfrommv - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

You mean like the sensible, intelligent, Knicks fan base that actually believes they have a title contending team? Snicker, snicker.

• paleihe - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Howard isn’t leaving an extra year and 20 MILLION GUARANTEED dollars on the table. Not to mention all the endorsements he’ll get simply because he’s in LA.

This whole idea that he’d leave is incredibly stupid.

6. marcusfitzhugh - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I’m not saying this is incorrect. I’m merely trying to digest it.

Andrew Bynum has concerns about signing an extension that will allow him to continue to live in southern California, but he is willing to sign one that will allow him to live in the vicinity of Cleveland Ohio?

• pl4tinum514 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Maybe he hates Mike Brown.

7. chadinkc30 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Gasol or Bynum has to go! Period! Signing Bynum to long term max scares me more than anything out of all the scenarios

8. loungefly74 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM

ehhh…Howard…or Bynum….either way…i’m happy.

9. mikey1977 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I just want Diva 12 out of Orlando…we Magic fans are sick of his BS.

10. zacksdad - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

The teams that Bynum stated he would sign with were the ones that had cap space. I think he was trying to pressure Lakers to keep him and make his trade value go down by stating he would not sign some places. I believe he would resign with Orlando before he would resign with Cleveland.

That is just me reading between the lines.

11. ccshocktalk - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM

This is retarded. If the Magic take this deal after they balked at the Houston deal, there is no way I am ever going back to a Magic game ever again.

What front office would ever let this happen? You send your stars player basically straight to the NBA playoffs and most likely the finals, and you get what in return? Anderson Verajo? If were the DeVoss family i would pull the fast manuver of taking a pile of poo, putting it a brown paper bag, lighting it on fire, putting it on Mitch Kupchack’s front door step, ringing the door bell and running to the bushes to get a good laugh…

12. lorddarkhelmet - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Richardson would be headed to Cleveland in this scenario. I doubt the Lakers would be getting much in the way of picks, they are getting by far the best player in the trade. They would be giving up Bynum to Cleveland as well as some picks. Orlando would be getting big time immediate cap relief and cash savings, and probably no less than 4 first rounders. Cleveland would be giving away all their cap space (overrated for them anyway) and getting Bynum (who will resign there) and having to take on JRich’s contract. Not a bad trade, not great either. If I am Orlando I want some more young talent, not just picks and cap. That said, they could probably spin Varejao off for a first and maybe a young player.

• tampajoey - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM

solid comment

13. davidly - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Whatareya tryin’ to do Kurt, make your readers drown on their drinks?
    Truedat: whenever the sound “blog” comes from the swimming pool, it’s time for the life guard to spring into action.

14. mikey1977 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Diva’s past exploits and PR makes it very difficult to believe anything that comes out of his mouth….he’s wishy washy and two faced. Need proof? Just ask Stan Vangundy….or better yet, just replay the ESPN….”Stan just said you want him fired video….Diva,…stop tweeting and shut your mouth…you are no victim here.

15. wayne1693 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Help!!! A.B. is just as good or better than D.H…with more upside potential!

16. SmackSaw - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM

A source tells me that a huge hang-up in the Dwight Howard to the Lakers deal is the insane insistence by Orlando’s GM that he can talk DH12 into staying. Howard already told him no…but he wants to be a hero…so he’s asking for crazy packages that no one is willing to pay. He thinks it will give them time to change Howard’s mind. Not going to happen…so make the deal Hennigan. Howard probably won’t sign a deal until next summer…but I think it’s worth the risk.

17. omniusprime - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Kurt I want some of what you’re smoking! Dwightmare Coward an upgrade from Andrew Bynum? Get real dude, Coward always wimps out in the playoffs and is just a whining crybaby come time to renegotiate contracts. We don’t need that lame Diva in Lakerland, we already have enough drama. What the Lakers need even more is a real coach, time to dump Mike Clown Brown and get a real coach. Hey Jerry Sloan seems to have some free time, now that was the coach that cupcake should have brought in. Let the Cleveland Cadavers rest in peace, let them have the Diva from Orlando and who cares where the Diva ends up as long as it isn’t Lakerland.

• paleihe - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

As a Laker fan, I want Howard over Bynum. Especially with Nash as the point guard.

• dandaman02 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Although has lost a ton “cool points” in the character department with me, I definitely agree with the Howard over Bynum statement. I’ve been a Lakers fan for as long as I can remember. I even suffered through the talented but sloppy team of the 90s. The Cedric Ceballos, Eddie Jones #25, Vlade Divac, Nick the Quick days. If you don’t think Howard is not an upgrade over Bynum (the Randy Moss of the NBA) then you’re obviously smoking something illegal or simply have a blind eye towards talent.

18. coats2m - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Way to crush your daughters athletic spirit……….

19. chadinkc30 - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM

If Bynum gets injured, considering his past, his value will NEVER be as high as now! You people who think Bynum is better should ask yourself that what if! Especially if he’s given a max contract

20. jammer73 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM

What a friggin’ garbage deal for Orlando LOL!

21. papichulo55 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

All of these DH stories might make me go back to the good old days of neswpapers! The guy hasnt won anything, yet he is dominating the news, even in an Olympic year.

The trades of Chamberlain, Jabbar , Malone and Parrish didnt get this much coverage, combined!

Enough already.

• paleihe - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That was a long time ago, when there was no Internet, Twitter, and possibly even sliced bread. Are things different now? Absolutely.

If you don’t like it, quit clicking on the links.

22. papichulo55 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Seems like the intent of my previous post was misunderstood.

Pro basketball is not suffering from a lack of news worthy stories. The editors should make an attempt to offer more choices. It seems like every fourth story is about DH. For starters, how about giving some space to non-american pro ball. The number of players entering the NBA clearly shows that good ball is being played outside of the US. And women play professional basketball too.

Ever get tired of having chicken every night?

23. BigBeachBall - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Mitch doesn’t want to hear the question, “So Mitch, why didn’t you get D12?” or “Dude, why did you drop the ball on the Howard deal?”

Going after Dwight seems futile at this point because it’s clear he wants to join the Nets. If Mitch Kupcheck doesn’t throw every wild possible trade he can think of at Orlando “right now”….. he will face an onlaught of scrutiny, speculation, and questioning from the fanbase and LA reporters for years and years to come. It’s just the way it is…

24. mctyboy35 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Why does this guy always hate on the Lakers?

25. ch8878 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

How the Hell is this better then what Houston offered ?

This sounds like a dumb move.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches