Jul 18, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo has never been lacking in self-confidence. A steady jumpshot? Yes. But not self-confidence.
Rondo is in Paris, not to check out the Tour de France but to be part of the Nike World Basketball Festival. Which if you’re going to go to a world basketball festival is a good place to have to go. While there Rondo spoke with News Basket Beafrica and CSNNE.com did the translation.
So Rondo, what will it take for you to be the best point guard in the league.
Like I said before, I have matured a lot and my game has also. I think I am one of the best playmakers in the league. I think I’m the best point guard in the league.
I like that he thinks that. You want your point guard to think like that.
He’s good. He’s not the best. He’s on a second tier, half a step behind Chris Paul and Deron Williams (And Paul is half a step ahead of D-Will). It’s hard to compare what Rondo does to how Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook play. But I wouldn’t want him to answer the question any other way.
Rondo answered a few other questions as well.
• On being a Celtic for his entire career: “I hope so. But it’s not up to me. Whatever happens happens.”
• On if he is a leader on the team: “I think so. My position as the point guard allows me to be a leader. Doc and I have worked together for six years now. I know what he wants, when he wants it. It’s up to me to relay that message on the court. Doc trusts me a lot, sometimes I know what he wants without him asking.”
• On Doc Rivers letting Rondo talk to the team during timeouts: “For two years, I’d say. I’ve gained a lot of trust in the last two years. I’ve matured, my game has evolved, and my teammates listen to me and that helps.”
May 5, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
“I don’t hear y’all crying now!”
May 5, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Wall suffered a wrist injury and Beal suffered an ankle injury in Washington’s Game 1 win.
May 5, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Thomas cost the Knicks $11.6 million following a sexual harassment lawsuit in 2007, so putting him in charge of a women’s team seems like an odd choice.
Blake Griffin put up historically-great numbers in Clippers’ last two victories over Rockets and Spurs
May 5, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Griffin became the first player to notch back-to-back playoff triple-doubles since …
May 5, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
San Antonio needs to find ways to create cap space this summer.
May 5, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
The chatter continues, but what if Chicago makes it to the Finals?
May 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kyrie finished with a game-high 30 points, and these were two of his most difficult shots.
May 5, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
LeBron was one assist shy of a triple-double, but shot just 9-of-22 and committed 6 turnovers in Cleveland’s loss.
May 5, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Stonecutter’s Credo continues to be popular in NBA circles.
May 5, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
The Grizzlies need Mike Conley’s return to have a realistic shot.
May 5, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Mike Budenholzer needs to lean on his starters more.
May 5, 2015, 1:45 AM EDT
The Rockets did not have an answer for him.
May 5, 2015, 1:22 AM EDT
“There are no excuses, they played better than we did.” —Rockets’ coach Kevin McHale
May 5, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
But the Knicks will have the higher pick.
May 5, 2015, 12:02 AM EDT
That one worked out OK.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Popovich still hates the rule.
May 4, 2015, 9:43 PM EDT
Derrick Rose’s 25 points led the way for Chicago.
May 4, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
May 4, 2015, 8:11 PM EDT
Doc Rivers says Paul will not play.
May 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Curry thanked basically everyone. I mean everyone.
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 21
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 24
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 5