Rajon Rondo: “ I think I’m the best point guard in the league”

Jul 18, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Seven Getty Images

Rajon Rondo has never been lacking in self-confidence. A steady jumpshot? Yes. But not self-confidence.

Rondo is in Paris, not to check out the Tour de France but to be part of the Nike World Basketball Festival. Which if you’re going to go to a world basketball festival is a good place to have to go. While there Rondo spoke with News Basket Beafrica and CSNNE.com did the translation.

So Rondo, what will it take for you to be the best point guard in the league.

Like I said before, I have matured a lot and my game has also. I think I am one of the best playmakers in the league. I think I’m the best point guard in the league.

I like that he thinks that. You want your point guard to think like that.

He’s good. He’s not the best. He’s on a second tier, half a step behind Chris Paul and Deron Williams (And Paul is half a step ahead of D-Will). It’s hard to compare what Rondo does to how Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook play. But I wouldn’t want him to answer the question any other way.

Rondo answered a few other questions as well.

• On being a Celtic for his entire career: “I hope so. But it’s not up to me. Whatever happens happens.”

• On if he is a leader on the team: “I think so. My position as the point guard allows me to be a leader. Doc and I have worked together for six years now. I know what he wants, when he wants it. It’s up to me to relay that message on the court. Doc trusts me a lot, sometimes I know what he wants without him asking.”

• On Doc Rivers letting Rondo talk to the team during timeouts: “For two years, I’d say. I’ve gained a lot of trust in the last two years. I’ve matured, my game has evolved, and my teammates listen to me and that helps.”

1. camnellum12 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I don’t think he’s heard of Chris Paul.

While Rondo may be the engine that drives Boston and he racks up 10+ dimes easily, he’s erratic with the ball and can’t create for himself. I’m not saying he’s supposed to take 20 shots a game, but he has to make the defense pay for playing off of him. And he turns over the ball like crazy in bad moments too.

Chris Paul has dragged a team on his back, look at his ’08-’09 season, he even made David West into an All-Star. Chris Paul is one of the best closers, one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA, and will burn you if you give him clean looks at the basket. Chris Paul is simply the best PG in the NBA.

• aboogy123456 - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

it really shouldn’t be up for discussion, great points on why CP is the best.

2. grazhoppa - Jul 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM

They playoffs is when it counts, right?

Rondo’s ’11-’12 post season:

17.3 ppg, 11.9 apg, 6.7 rpg, 46.8% shooting, 69.6% on free throw, 2.4 spg

Paul’s ’11-’12 postseason:

17.6 ppg, 7.9 apg, 5.0 rpg, 42.7% shooting, 87.2% on free throws, 2.7 spg

3. mempusa - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I wouldn’t trade any point guard in the league for Rondo

• truthhurtstoo - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

that’s why your team is a loser

4. khadeemw - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM

So Deron Williams is a 2nd tier point guard….you are freakin crazy…D-Will is the best point guard in the NBA

• obijuan13 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM

If D-WIll was the best PG in the NBA the Nets would of made the playoffs. CP3 took the Hornets there pretty much on his own back.

• khadeemw - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Deron Williams backpacked Utah to the conference finals before. Chris Paul has never sniffed the conference finals. As far as missing the playoffs, people are acting like CP3 never missed the playoffs. And Deron Williams is 13-4 against CP3 for his career. Deron Williams made Memhet Okur and Carlos Boozer all-stars. Look what they have done without him. NOTHING. Deron Williams at the collegiate and professional level has shown himself to be a better point guard. Top 5 in the league:

D-Will
        CP3
        Westbrook
        Rondo
        Rose(Pending Recovery from ACL injury)

• obijuan13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM

@khadeemw

GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
        Paul: 485 485 37 .472 .361 .854 4.5 9.8 2.4 .1 18.8
        DWill: 506 473 35.7 .455 .351 .812 3.3 9.2 1.1 .2 17.8

Nuff’ Said.

• obijuan13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Lets try with some better spacing

GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
        Paul: 485 485 37 .472 .361 .854 4.5 9.8 2.4 0.1 18.8
        DWill: 506 473 35.7 .455 .351 .812 3.3 9.2 1.1 0.2 17.8

• khadeemw - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM

look at the numbers when they watch up…n look at chris paul’s playoff record

• obijuan13 - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM

@khadeemw Unless you win the cahmpionship wins in the playoffs mean nothing, just ask Lebron. Those are career stats that include playoffs. The only stat CP3 is losing in is Blocked shots. Dwill has even come off the bench in games, CP3 hasen’t. The number don’t lie, sorry :(

5. lakerluver - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Jump shot, or not, I love Rondo’s game, confidence, and leadership.

• truthhurtstoo - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM

confidence, and leadership…………headcase- totally mental

• jackychilds - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

You read and watch too much ESPN.

6. fleshybear - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM

we’re missing the point here, rondo had a complete thought!

7. canehouse - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

CP is the best all around, followed by D Will, then Westbrook on just his sick scary freakish talent, followed by Rondo.

8. baron30 - Jul 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

his skill set is like no other PG in the league. Yes he is a streaky shooter. But he drops dimes, gets boards, and plays all-league caliber defense.

9. duane888 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Athletic ability doesn’t alone put you on top, character also plas a role. People should want to go and remain with your team to play with you, not willingly defect to the enemy for less money!! That also speaks volumes about you Mr Rondo.

• dko83 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Your purely speculative post hints of Ray Allen, which is a rumor.. Also Ray said it was more about being wanted. People should want to stay and play with him, like every other Celtic that signed a contract/extension EXCEPT for Ray (KG, Green, Bass, Jet off the top of my head). Your point is flawed, not thought out, and speaks volumes about Rondo just as much as tabloids speak volumes about celebrities. Stiemsma might sign with the T-Wolves.. that speaks volumes about.. Rondo? Cap space? Doc? Ainge? K.

10. atrain1532 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM

1. D-rose
    2. CP3
    3. D-will
    4. Rondo
    5. Westbrook

11. lookitsgreen - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

No other point guard in this league has leadership skills like Rondo… even though he’s not got a jumpshot, he’s the best passer in this league hands down. I hate it when people drop him to 4th or 5th in the league because he cant shoot… Name one point guard who finishes better at the rim!

I love CP3 and Dwill, but they are not pure PG’s. They dont have that pass-first mentality. Why is Westbrook even in the discussion? He’s a 2 played in the 1, doesnt have outstanding passing skills or floor leadership. If Stockton is the greatest PG to handle a Spalding, I think Rondo’s game comes closest.

12. oldmanbasketball - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Uncle Drew is the best point guard in the league.

• sasquash20 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM

he very well could be in a few years

13. nitroglyphics - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM

When Rose has been healthy the past two seasons, he has outplayed every other “elite” point guard head-to-head, and the Bulls have won the majority of those games. This includes his MVP season where the Bulls were the only team to defeat every other team in the league amd he frustrated d will so much that his resulting tantrum led to jerry sloan quitting.

If rondo is saying that he is the best RIGHT NOW bcuz Rose is hurt, fine.

But considering head-to-head stats and wins, Rose is the best.

14. ummnah - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I’m a Bulls fan and think Derrick Rose is the most dominant PG in the league, but the best at being a PG, NO. He doesnt have the weapons around him to be a true facilitator, most of the Bulls offense is him creating shots and if he misses Noah and Boozer are there for the rebounds. He shoots as much as he does because he has to, a fact that people like to ignoe to support their argument for him being over rated.

From a numbers standpoint, D Williams is the best PG in the league. He avg’s more asst and pts per game than Rondo playing with much less talent around him.

15. redblue560 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Stop drinking that French Champagne in your room will you. It does not agree with your brain well.

Rondo has potential to be the best point guard if he will learn to play consistent and commit less errors. Sometimes you are amazed of his plays and execution, but most often, you are left wondering why he commits stupid errors like a backcourt violation when he threw the ball back to Ray Allen.

Come to practice early and take foul shots… it will help with your shooting skills.

16. fanz928 - Jul 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I agree that he’s the best because he made it further than chris Paul, d rose, d will, and he certainly better than Westbrook, and he carried his team if you watch the conference finals he was actually carrying his team in points assist and 2 or 3rd behind Garnett he deserves a lot of credit on the court

17. jjordannba - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Look at it like this which point guard in the league has court vision/Bball IQ like Rondo? Which can Rebound like Rondo, which can play defense like him, which can control the whole tempo of the game like him, which can get triple-doubles on any given night like him, and which can take over the game without scoring like Rondo? And now which Point Guard can do all these put together?

18. chicagofan - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM

He has to improve his jump shots and free throws before he can claim that title–he will be unstoppable and the best if he does that. He should reserve this kind of trash talk until he proves he can.

• jjordannba - Jul 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I’m not sure this would be considered trash talk

19. jammer73 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Rondo is a punk. Not even close to best PG in the league.

20. scalfor3 - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

dude has improved every year he’s been in the league and also dramatically steps it up every year in the postseason. i’d probably take a healthy chris paul over him but thats it

21. unodosochocinco - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Did you just imply that Derrick Rose is a second tier point guard? How many MVP’s do Deron or CP3 have? Derrick Rose was injured last season. He didn’t die.

And I’m a Celtics fan.

22. zacmonte - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Rondo is my favorite player in the NBA, but even I will say that I don’t think he is the best in the league. If he developed a steady jumper and more importantly converted more of his free throws, I honestly think he would be the best PG in the NBA with the only real competition being Chris Paul. The thing about Rondo’s scoring is that his role is not to be a scorer yet to distribute and create offense for others. Rondo doesn’t put up 20+ points a game, but the points he does put up he does at a pretty efficient rate for a PG, shooting 45% from the field last year, not amazing, but certainly not bad either. He isn’t asked to put up absurd amounts of points, but what he is asked to do he does better than anyone else in the NBA. He plays amazing defense, he rebounds better than almost every other PG in the league, and he is constantly the league leader or among the league leaders in assists while scoring a solid but not great 12 or so points a game at an efficient rate. He has the kind of ability to completely take over a game like very few players have. After last year, I would personally take him over any PG in the league outside of Chris Paul and Westbrook (Westbrook just based on his potential, that kid is a freak and already is elite). Rose’s game will never be the same after the ACL tear, D-Will, although he didn’t have a good cast, had a down year for him and wasn’t as efficient as you would hope. I honestly think he could be the best all-around PG in the league with a consistent outside shot and free throw stroke, which would open up his game so much in all aspects.

23. ebrownwareagle - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

IM a Lakers FAN! And I would have to agree with Rondo. As a pure PG, he is the best. He is tougher and more durable than all of them. A the dude is a walking triple double!

24. imthedudedude - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I think I’m the best bowler

25. bballnatic - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Throwing ’round lot a names. How many have rings?
    Rondo can go to any team and start. He IS the best PG in the league.

Wizards playing spoiler in East