Rajon Rondo: “ I think I’m the best point guard in the league”

Jul 18, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Seven Getty Images

Rajon Rondo has never been lacking in self-confidence. A steady jumpshot? Yes. But not self-confidence.

Rondo is in Paris, not to check out the Tour de France but to be part of the Nike World Basketball Festival. Which if you’re going to go to a world basketball festival is a good place to have to go. While there Rondo spoke with News Basket Beafrica and CSNNE.com did the translation.

So Rondo, what will it take for you to be the best point guard in the league.

Like I said before, I have matured a lot and my game has also. I think I am one of the best playmakers in the league. I think I’m the best point guard in the league.

I like that he thinks that. You want your point guard to think like that.

He’s good. He’s not the best. He’s on a second tier, half a step behind Chris Paul and Deron Williams (And Paul is half a step ahead of D-Will). It’s hard to compare what Rondo does to how Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook play. But I wouldn’t want him to answer the question any other way.

Rondo answered a few other questions as well.

• On being a Celtic for his entire career: “I hope so. But it’s not up to me. Whatever happens happens.”

• On if he is a leader on the team: “I think so. My position as the point guard allows me to be a leader. Doc and I have worked together for six years now. I know what he wants, when he wants it. It’s up to me to relay that message on the court. Doc trusts me a lot, sometimes I know what he wants without him asking.”

• On Doc Rivers letting Rondo talk to the team during timeouts: “For two years, I’d say. I’ve gained a lot of trust in the last two years. I’ve matured, my game has evolved, and my teammates listen to me and that helps.”

1. BigBeachBall - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

The Best PG in the League can’t be reached for comment because he’s in the process of winning a gold medal in the Olympic games.

2. charlescub80 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

To be the best point guard in the league you need to be a leader. Rondo is not a leader on the celtics. Just look at his actions sometimes, like bumping into refs because you think a ref made a bad call. He has the potential to be the best but needs to show leadership.

3. tashkalucy - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Kyrie Irving will lap most of these guys in 2-3 years.

4. jackychilds - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Rondo is RIGHT!

All you clowns talk about his jumper. Chirs Paul has a jumper, where has that got him? Deron Williams has a jumper, where has that got him? Neither of those fools can play D or rebound Parker has a jumper, but even that developed with time and Parker can’t play D or rebound like Rondo.

I dont’ care what you say but Rose is not a PG, Westbrook is not a PG.

Rondo is a one-man fast break and a walking triple double. Can you imagine Rondo running the show with some young guns like OKC instead of Westbrook? OMG!

• j0esixpack - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Meh…

I’m a Celtics fan and I’m with everyone else on this one.

If Rondo wants to be known as the best PG in the league, all he has to do is prove it.

I think he can. I hope he does. Thus far he hasn’t.

5. Sigaba - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I’m a Lakers fan. I’ve been watching The Association for thirty years. When one considers the PG position from three criteria (running the offense, defending the other team’s PG, and team leadership), Rondo is the best PG I’ve seen since Magic Johnson and the best Celtics’ guard since Dennis Johnson. (And how I miss that guy!)

Without a doubt, Paul, Westbrook, and Williams can do things that Rondo cannot (or will not). Likewise, Parker is hell on wheels and if Rose can get and stay healthy and stay on the court, he will be as special on the court as he is off of it.

But given my pick today of any point or shooting guard to build a team around, I’d take Rondo.

6. nobandwagonridersallowed - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

This guy is as tough as they come. I have absolutely no issues with his comments. I love the confidence and mental fortitude, Rondo displays and believe me, I’m not a Boston fan at all! Heat fan since the late 80’s; I just call it like I see it and the guy is a beast. Get a consistent mid-range jumper and that’s a scary sight

7. chitown56 - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Rondo u r stupid win mvp then u can talk

8. franciscomc68 - Jul 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Rondo has to be, if not the best, one of the best pg’s in the league, the way he runs the offense and rebound like no other player in his position has to be recognize, he still has to improve different aspects of his game (and his temperament), but he can just dominate a game without having to score over double digits.

9. cornbreadbbqred - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Well, now I guess we see why Allen went running like a bat out of hell. Wow, Rondo must have really chafed being in the shadow of the big three in the past. Now he’s coming out. He is a unique point guard, but his big games often do not carry the team. Best rebounding guard, perhaps; also, I think his head-to-head defense is not his best attribute. We’ll leave the verdict out on his spot-up jump shooting till next season.

10. cornbreadbbqred - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Doug Collins is daft. How can you declare that Kwame is your man? I would have kept that one to myself. The man with the nickname “Hands of Stone”.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches