Jul 18, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Rajon Rondo has never been lacking in self-confidence. A steady jumpshot? Yes. But not self-confidence.
Rondo is in Paris, not to check out the Tour de France but to be part of the Nike World Basketball Festival. Which if you’re going to go to a world basketball festival is a good place to have to go. While there Rondo spoke with News Basket Beafrica and CSNNE.com did the translation.
So Rondo, what will it take for you to be the best point guard in the league.
Like I said before, I have matured a lot and my game has also. I think I am one of the best playmakers in the league. I think I’m the best point guard in the league.
I like that he thinks that. You want your point guard to think like that.
He’s good. He’s not the best. He’s on a second tier, half a step behind Chris Paul and Deron Williams (And Paul is half a step ahead of D-Will). It’s hard to compare what Rondo does to how Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook play. But I wouldn’t want him to answer the question any other way.
Rondo answered a few other questions as well.
• On being a Celtic for his entire career: “I hope so. But it’s not up to me. Whatever happens happens.”
• On if he is a leader on the team: “I think so. My position as the point guard allows me to be a leader. Doc and I have worked together for six years now. I know what he wants, when he wants it. It’s up to me to relay that message on the court. Doc trusts me a lot, sometimes I know what he wants without him asking.”
• On Doc Rivers letting Rondo talk to the team during timeouts: “For two years, I’d say. I’ve gained a lot of trust in the last two years. I’ve matured, my game has evolved, and my teammates listen to me and that helps.”
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 13
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17