Jul 18, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
The Lakers and Magic sat down Tuesday and talked about what it would take to get a Dwight Howard trade done.
We told you that was happening and Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com confirmed it. We also told you that they can talk all they want but unless Andrew Bynum agrees to commit to staying in Orlando long term — remember he is a free agent next summer as well — the Magic aren’t going to do it. So far Bynum has not (and Howard has not committed to staying in Los Angeles). Then there is the added issue that the Magic have wanted young players and picks, and wanted to move their anchor contracts like Jason Richardson in a deal — the Lakers might be willing to take on Richardson or they mays need to bring in at least one more team to make the deal work.
All of which is to say the Lakers are doing their due diligence and trying, but I wouldn’t bet the house on Howard in purple and gold. Or even $5.
And if that falls through, the Lakers will quickly turn their attention to getting Andrew Bynum to sign long-term with the team, ESPNLosAngeles.com reports.
Bynum and his agent, David Lee, are scheduled to return from an Alaskan fishing vacation Wednesday. Lakers officials are set to meet Wednesday to discuss their negotiating strategy with Bynum before reaching out to his representative but are well aware that there will not be much wiggle room once the negotiations begin; Bynum will expect a max contract extension.
There is no negotiation here. Roy Hibbert and Brook Lopez just got max deals, and if that is the market Bynum — already an All-Star and just starting to come into his prime — is a max player. Yes he can be temperamental and yes there is an injury history, doesn’t matter. A max contract for Bynum isn’t a bad deal. In fact, it’s the only deal.
The only question is if he signs an extension or, more likely under the new rules, becomes a free agent and then re-signs with the Lakers. Los Angeles can offer larger raises and one more guaranteed year than any other team, they likely can keep Bynum.
Well, if they don’t trade him first.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13