Jul 18, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
Marketing people are already making the switch — bootleg No. 17 Lin rocket shirts are already out on the market, and the not bootleg ones wiil not be far behind, reports the New York Times.
So the next question becomes, how good a fit will he be with the Rockets?
Not bad. But Houston doesn’t have near the talent around Lin that the Knicks rolled out on the court, so don’t be thinking playoffs.
The Rockets needed a point guard after trading Kyle Lowry (Toronto) and letting Goran Dragic walk away (Phoenix). The only point guard on the roster is Toney Douglas and, um, well… let’s just say Lin is a considerable upgrade.
But what made Lin work in New York was a wide-open, pick-and-roll offense where he had a good pick-and-roll big (Tyson Chandler) and he was surrounded by shooters. If you want Lin to be a star — and clearly the Rockets do — then you have to put him in a system to succeed.
Well, the Rockets have shooters — Kevin Martin is the backcourt mate with Lin and a better scorer and shooter than he had with him in New York. Martin has been a borderline All-Star who can shoot, create his own shot and get to the line. Do that next to Lin and you have a tough matchup.
But who sets the picks? After seeing him at Summer League, I recommend Donatas Motiejunas. When I saw the rookie he showed good hands, a little pick-and-pop and a lot of roll. What’s more, he showed a real mean streak around the basket, which they need. Another guy that could become involved are Chandler Parsons, some 1/3 pick-and-roll would be interesting and throw some teams off.
But what the Rockets need to do most is not get caught trying to execute in the half court. With Lin and guys like Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones and Royce White (not to mention Martin) the Rockets should get out and run teams into the ground. McHale has to turn them loose.
It all sounds like an entertaining team. It does not sound like a playoff team.
Well, that or make sure the team lands Dwight Howard.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 8
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8