Anthony Davis signs endorsement deal with Nike

Jul 18, 2012, 7:55 AM EDT

Anthony Davis AP

This really should not be a surprise, with Anthony Davis coming out of John Calipari’s Kentucky Wildcat program, arguably Nike’s flagship college hoops program.

Davis, the No. 1 overall pick of the Hornets, has signed an endorsement deal with Nike, reports the Chicago Tribune. No financial figures were released.

There is already a Nike/Davis unibrow shirt for sale — and Davis will get a piece of that money because he trademarked the unibrow phrase. Smart man.

Also smart signing by Nike, Davis is the biggest star and best player to come out of college in years, having won a national title and national player of the year honors. We’ll see how Nike uses him. The reality is that big men don’t really sell shoes like guards and attacking wings. Dwight Howard is the best center in the game today but adidas gets a lot more sales out of Derrick Rose, not because he’s necessarily a better player but because we can relate to him in a way we don’t relate to a 6’11” guy.

But look for Davis to start showing up in Nike ads and wearing Nike gear. Lots of Nike gear.

1. illcomm - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:02 AM

please stop reposting the same articles over n over again. it makes you look stupid

2. luissuarez7 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I dont get why Anthony Davis doesnt shave it off? It makes him look horrible. and now atleast he can get his teeth fixed with the endorsement money.. lmao

3. dembois - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I wonder how much it costs for a Nike unibrow sh*t…

• 6thsense79 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

As an added bonus it doesn’t even stink.

4. rocketsbb - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Lol did kurt just say sh!t.

5. gmsalpha - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Unbelievable as it seems, it’s not always a lock that a Calipari kid will sign with Nike, as proven by John Wall and Derrick Rose. If I were Nike, I’d be tripping over my feet to sign Anthony Davis too.

The Pro Day photos pretty much tell you all you need to know about where a guy is going to sign. From what I saw, Jeremy Lamb looks like an Under Armour guy, and Tyler Zeller looks like adidas. Other than that, everyone was Nike and I wouldn’t expect that to change very much.

I feel as though Nike is worn by 85% or so of the NBA. If anyone has an actual statistic on this, I’d love to know. So, unless Nike was offering me my own commercial or a boatload of money, I’d lean more towards someone else for the chance to set myself apart and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond, so to speak.

Still, good for Anthony Davis. He’s a pretty unique big guy and may turn into something really special. The NBA can always use more guys like that who are proud of being different and embrace their quirks.

6. bringin1234 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hey Kurt where can I find this “unibrow shiiiiit?” Sounds pretty interesting

7. vstyle23 - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM

What kind of Unibrow? Man, Kurt is doin that junk on purpose. He loves it when we make a big deal out of his grammatical errors

8. paleihe - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

“…Davis may be the biggest star and best player to come out of college in years…”

This phrase is used so often. D-Rose was incredible coming outta college. So was Griffin. So was Wall.

9. njbucsfan - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I’m offended by the Nike sh*t. You guys can write what ever you want but the admins won’t post Andy Reid is far on PFT. WTF

• pellypell - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Tacos! Foot something or babble trip. Tippy toe. BBQ!

10. exibitsman - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I sure hope I don’t see high school kids growing unibrows because they want to be like this FOOL Anthony Davis.!!!!!!!

11. obijuan13 - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Just wait; there will be a shirt of his face with two swooshes for “The Brow”. Mark my words.

12. pellypell - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Nike

“Just Shave It!”

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches