Jul 17, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
This is the thing that should make Knicks fans nervous about Jeremy Lin being allowed to walk off to the Rockets — the two point guards left on the Knicks roster were not really good last year.
Felton was out of shape, turned the ball over nearly on nearly 20 percent of the possessions he used, shot 40 percent overall and 30 percent from three, and was nothing like the guy most Knicks fans remember from the fall of 2010. There is a reason the Trail Blazers wanted him gone. Jason Kidd is 39, can’t defend much any more and while he can knock down threes and has an undoubtedly high hoop IQ, his ability to execute what he needs to do is fading.
As we reported, Felton was promised starting PG guard when he signed, with Kidd as backup. Felton, Kidd, Spanish League warhorse Pablo Prigioni as third string will be fine. Unsure of Linsanity clamor once Felton came aboard. Why create an uncomfortable logjam filled with controversy. That’s not exactly what feel-good Disney Movie from last February/March was about. That was an unforgettable moment in time and would never be same. It passed when Lin redid offer sheet.
The on the court gamble the Knicks took is this: That the 26 games that Lin played for the Knicks were a bit of a mirage and he would not be as good with Carmelo Anthony dominating the ball. And they bet that Raymond Felton can return to form, not All-Star form but average form with some threes would be good enough.
A lot of Knicks fans don’t like that gamble. I can’t blame them, I wouldn’t have made it either.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10