Jul 17, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
We told you last week that the Grizzlies had reached out to the Minnesota Timberwolves because Memphis wanted some depth at guard and they had a big man in Dante Cunningham to dangle out there.
The Wolves and Memphis Grizzlies have a verbal agreement to swap guard Wayne Ellington for forward Dante Cunningham, a source with knowledge of the deal said on Monday. An official announcement should come in the near future after the paperwork is submitted to the NBA.
Ellington was coming off the bench in Minnesota for about 20 minutes a game last year but was not really blowing anybody’s doors off, shooting 40.4 percent overall and 32.4 percent from three. Not ideal. But the Grizzlies are looking for depth off the bench, not a guy to close out games.
Minnesota gets the better player in this deal, Cunningham shows promise. He can play and defend either forward position, and while he only scored 5.2 points and grabbed 3.8 rebounds a game in 17 minutes a contest for the Grizzlies, he was pretty efficient doing it. He shot 51 percent last year. He’s a nice pickup for Minnesota.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona