Report: Phil Jackson trying to get into Blazers front office

Jul 17, 2012, 3:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers head coach Phil Jackson answers questions at a post-game news conference following Game 4 of their NBA Western Conference semi-final basketball playoff against the Dallas Mavericks in Dallas Reuters

I remain convinced that Phil Jackson doesn’t really want to return to an NBA bench, what he wants is a consultant-style front office gig.

Portland general manager Neil Olshey apparently talked to Jackson about coming is as Blazers coach, but he said no.

Because that’s not his goal, reports Jason Quick of the Oregonian.

Phil Jackson has interest in joining the Trail Blazers in a non-coaching role, a source close to the legendary coach said, but it is unclear whether owner Paul Allen has interest in Jackson.

“Phil would be interested in talking about a possible role in the organization,’’ the source close to Jackson said. “My sense is there is a lot Phil can offer by being there, be it handling players, advising trade scenarios, managing coaching staff … I think he would be a tremendous adviser to the owner.’’

With everyone talking to owner Paul Allen and his Vulcan Inc. team, does he really need another advisor? Another voice in his ear?

Would they even really get along? Jackson’s relationship with management above him has always had an undercurrent of tension. Paul Allen doesn’t seem to like that in his working relationships.

Which is all a way of saying, I can’t really see this happening.

1. khayes31 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I Cant wait to see blazers fans hate this idea because he has won Rings with the Lakers. go lake show.

2. slopmcflop - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

This guy could probably offer his services to nearly any team in the league and they would have him, so I’m just curious, why Portland, Phil?

• thesixersbench - Jul 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Close to Montana – his home.

• 06mustang - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Uh, close to Montana? I live in the NW. Looked at a map lately bro?

• thesixersbench - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Name a team closer to Montana than the Blazers, you dolt. I live in the North East, but I learned basic geography in the 4th grade.

Also…didn’t know “bros” made their way up to the NW west yet. If so, all is lost.

3. freemantowilliams - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Phil you want a front office job? Go talk to the magic. Please! Save the Orlando Magic!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches