Jul 17, 2012, 7:54 AM EDT
O.J. Mayo didn’t like being the third or fourth option in Memphis, he wanted starters minutes and a bigger role.
He may have found all that in Dallas.
Mayo tweeted late Monday nightw that he would sign in Dallas for the upcoming season. Terms of any deal are not yet known. While Dallas has worked hard to keep future year salaries down to maintain flexibility to go after a max free agent next summer, it is highly unlikely Mayo agreed to a one-year contract.
Mayo averaged 12.6 points per game for Memphis last season, playing a lot in the sixth man role, but he clearly wasn’t happy and nor was he efficient, shooting 40.6 percent. He had to take a lot to make a lot.
Mayo is going to have a lot of responsibility on a revamped Dallas roster. He likely starts at the two guard, next to just acquired Darren Collison. While Dirk Nowitzki will remain the focal point of the offense, Mayo will have Rodrigue Beaubois and maybe Vince Carter behind him, so Mayo will get the lion’s share of run.
It’s what he wanted.
Dallas missed out on getting a superstar this summer — no Deron Williams, no Steve Nash and no Dwight Howard (at least yet) — but it has now cobbled together a respectable lineup. Starting guys like Collison, Mayo, Nowitzki and Chris Kaman is not going to win a title, but it’s a lot better than it looked like it was going to be.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3