Jul 17, 2012, 8:18 AM EST
The Sacramento Kings are going to have an impressive one-two point guard punch wwnext season. And no, we’re not talking Jimmer Fredette.
On Monday the Kings reached a deal with Aaron Brooks to come in and take over point guard duties, the team announced. This is a two-year deal worth about $3.3 million a year, with a player option for that second year, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Brooks was out of the NBA last season after playing in China, a deal he signed during the lockout and had to honor deep into the NBA season. The season prior he had started with the Rockets but was tradedto the S
You’d have to think Isaiah Thomas — the rookie who had a great campaign for the Kings last season — will be the point guard off the bench who can give Brooks plenty of rest.
That likely means Tyreke Evans will be used as a two-guard (or trade bait). He has struggled to find a comfort level once the Kings took the ball out of his hands. He struggled at the three last year, maybe the two is better. Or, maybe he does get traded.
But where does all that leave Jimmer Fredette? Jimmer was supposed to get a better look at the point during Summer League — and he racked up 30 points Monday on 10-of-21 shooting. But he didn’t look like a point guard who was being a floor general, he looked like a shooting guard who was trying to get his own shot.
Brooks makes the Kings better, it’s simple. But his presence raises some interesting roster issues as well.
To make room for Brooks, the Kings waived Hassan Whiteside.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 55
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7