Jul 17, 2012, 8:18 AM EDT
The Sacramento Kings are going to have an impressive one-two point guard punch wwnext season. And no, we’re not talking Jimmer Fredette.
On Monday the Kings reached a deal with Aaron Brooks to come in and take over point guard duties, the team announced. This is a two-year deal worth about $3.3 million a year, with a player option for that second year, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Brooks was out of the NBA last season after playing in China, a deal he signed during the lockout and had to honor deep into the NBA season. The season prior he had started with the Rockets but was tradedto the S
You’d have to think Isaiah Thomas — the rookie who had a great campaign for the Kings last season — will be the point guard off the bench who can give Brooks plenty of rest.
That likely means Tyreke Evans will be used as a two-guard (or trade bait). He has struggled to find a comfort level once the Kings took the ball out of his hands. He struggled at the three last year, maybe the two is better. Or, maybe he does get traded.
But where does all that leave Jimmer Fredette? Jimmer was supposed to get a better look at the point during Summer League — and he racked up 30 points Monday on 10-of-21 shooting. But he didn’t look like a point guard who was being a floor general, he looked like a shooting guard who was trying to get his own shot.
Brooks makes the Kings better, it’s simple. But his presence raises some interesting roster issues as well.
To make room for Brooks, the Kings waived Hassan Whiteside.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 1
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 5
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 12
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42