Jul 17, 2012, 8:18 AM EDT
The Sacramento Kings are going to have an impressive one-two point guard punch wwnext season. And no, we’re not talking Jimmer Fredette.
On Monday the Kings reached a deal with Aaron Brooks to come in and take over point guard duties, the team announced. This is a two-year deal worth about $3.3 million a year, with a player option for that second year, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Brooks was out of the NBA last season after playing in China, a deal he signed during the lockout and had to honor deep into the NBA season. The season prior he had started with the Rockets but was tradedto the S
You’d have to think Isaiah Thomas — the rookie who had a great campaign for the Kings last season — will be the point guard off the bench who can give Brooks plenty of rest.
That likely means Tyreke Evans will be used as a two-guard (or trade bait). He has struggled to find a comfort level once the Kings took the ball out of his hands. He struggled at the three last year, maybe the two is better. Or, maybe he does get traded.
But where does all that leave Jimmer Fredette? Jimmer was supposed to get a better look at the point during Summer League — and he racked up 30 points Monday on 10-of-21 shooting. But he didn’t look like a point guard who was being a floor general, he looked like a shooting guard who was trying to get his own shot.
Brooks makes the Kings better, it’s simple. But his presence raises some interesting roster issues as well.
To make room for Brooks, the Kings waived Hassan Whiteside.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games