Jul 17, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
We’ve seen this movie before. I’m not sure why it would end differently this time, but we’re seeing it again.
Lakers pushing hard to land Magic center Dwight Howard & meeting with Magic today, sources tell Y! LAL wants DH contract extension commitment… Rockets currently do not have a meeting set up with the Magic in regards to landing Dwight Howard, source tells Y! Sports.
The buzz around Summer League has been that nothing was close with Howard to anywhere, that the Magic had pulled back.
The Lakers know exactly what they can offer, the same thing they have offered from the start — Andrew Bynum (and other parts to make it all fit). How the Lakers get a deal done without a third team to take on Jason Richardson’s contract, and how they get enough picks to make Orlando happy, are other topics, but the Lakers have a piece in Bynum that will get the Magic talking.
But that’s never been the problem with sending Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles, the problem is getting the principle players involved to agree.
The Lakers have wanted a commitment from Howard that he would re-sign with them after the season. (Howard, nor any other free agent, is going to sign an extension under the new CBA, because they get fewer years and less guaranteed money than becoming a free agent and re-signing with the same team. As Deron Williams did in Brooklyn.)
Howard has said he will not re-sign with the Lakers. He also has wanted to be the star of the team and the Lakers are Kobe’s team, with Steve Nash and Pau Gasol both still there taking up a lot of shots. Is Howard going to sign on for that?
On the flip side, Orlando is going to want a commitment from Bynum, who also is a free agent next summer. And he has given no indication he would re-sign there (other than he wants a big payday and they can provide it). The Magic are not moving Howard without a commitment from Bynum, they are not trading one big man in the last year of his deal and who wants out for another.
I’m not sure how the movie ends differently this time unless Howard and Bynum change their stances. But the talks seem to be on again.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 62
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32