Jul 17, 2012, 10:36 PM EDT
LAS VEGAS — A scary incident happened on Monday night at the Cox Pavilion during the Portland Trail Blazers game against the Houston Rockets involving second-year guard Nolan Smith. The Duke Blue Devils product needed to be wheeled off the court on a stretcher after suffering what many believe to be a concussion.
Without the benefit of instant replay live at the arena, it looked as though Smith was fouled in the body as he attacked the basket late in the game. Rockets hopeful Zoran Dragic challenged the shot, but didn’t look to make any contact with Smith’s head before the guard walked a few paces past the sideline and collapsed in front of media row.
Head coach Kaleb Canales, teammate Wesley Matthews and front office executive Michael Born (who had been watching from the stands) were among those that rushed to Smith’s side as medical personnel tended to him on the baseline. After going through some tests in which his eyes continued to twitch — though he was responding to the doctor’s requests — he was loaded onto a stretcher and taken to a hospital for precautionary reasons.
The game was called following the delay, awarding the Rockets a 99-88 victory. Smith finished with 27 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals before the injury.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record