Jul 17, 2012, 10:26 AM EST
Today, after the USA couldn’t get an outside shot to fall and was not terribly impressive in defeating Brazil, the “Dream Team vs. 2012 debate” seems a little moot. (Although we will point out in that the Dream Team didn’t ever play a team as good as Brazil is now, let alone Spain Not that it really would have mattered.)
But in a halftime interview at the game Monday night in Washington D.C. which he attended, the hoopster-in-chief Barack Obama was asked about Kobe Bryant’s comments that he thought this team could beat the 1992 Dream Team (transcribed by the AP).
“This is a generational thing,” Obama said during a halftime interview with ESPN2 as it broadcast an exhibition game Monday night with Brazil at Washington’s Verizon Center. “I was around in ’92, I was a Bulls fan, so I’ve got to go with the original Dream Team….
“I suspect that Michael and `Sir Charles’ and others would point out they were probably never down at any point in any of their games,” Obama said. “But this is a great team, unbelievable talent.”
The president added: “You know, Kobe’s a competitor, so you expect him to do a little trash talking whenever the opportunity arises.”
The one thing the Dream Team had with Patrick Ewing and David Robinson was the size to match up with a team like Brazil. But it was a different world 20 years ago and it was the impact of the Dream Team that helped make teams like Brazil and Spain and Argentina possible — all teams better than any international 1992 squad — because of how they popularized the sport.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)