Jul 17, 2012, 10:26 AM EDT
Today, after the USA couldn’t get an outside shot to fall and was not terribly impressive in defeating Brazil, the “Dream Team vs. 2012 debate” seems a little moot. (Although we will point out in that the Dream Team didn’t ever play a team as good as Brazil is now, let alone Spain Not that it really would have mattered.)
But in a halftime interview at the game Monday night in Washington D.C. which he attended, the hoopster-in-chief Barack Obama was asked about Kobe Bryant’s comments that he thought this team could beat the 1992 Dream Team (transcribed by the AP).
“This is a generational thing,” Obama said during a halftime interview with ESPN2 as it broadcast an exhibition game Monday night with Brazil at Washington’s Verizon Center. “I was around in ’92, I was a Bulls fan, so I’ve got to go with the original Dream Team….
“I suspect that Michael and `Sir Charles’ and others would point out they were probably never down at any point in any of their games,” Obama said. “But this is a great team, unbelievable talent.”
The president added: “You know, Kobe’s a competitor, so you expect him to do a little trash talking whenever the opportunity arises.”
The one thing the Dream Team had with Patrick Ewing and David Robinson was the size to match up with a team like Brazil. But it was a different world 20 years ago and it was the impact of the Dream Team that helped make teams like Brazil and Spain and Argentina possible — all teams better than any international 1992 squad — because of how they popularized the sport.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38