Barack Obama will take the Dream Team over 2012 version

Jul 17, 2012, 10:26 AM EDT

United States v Brazil - Men's Exhibition Game Getty Images

Today, after the USA couldn’t get an outside shot to fall and was not terribly impressive in defeating Brazil, the “Dream Team vs. 2012 debate” seems a little moot. (Although we will point out in that the Dream Team didn’t ever play a team as good as Brazil is now, let alone Spain Not that it really would have mattered.)

But in a halftime interview at the game Monday night in Washington D.C. which he attended, the hoopster-in-chief Barack Obama was asked about Kobe Bryant’s comments that he thought this team could beat the 1992 Dream Team (transcribed by the AP).

“This is a generational thing,” Obama said during a halftime interview with ESPN2 as it broadcast an exhibition game Monday night with Brazil at Washington’s Verizon Center. “I was around in ’92, I was a Bulls fan, so I’ve got to go with the original Dream Team….

“I suspect that Michael and `Sir Charles’ and others would point out they were probably never down at any point in any of their games,” Obama said. “But this is a great team, unbelievable talent.”

The president added: “You know, Kobe’s a competitor, so you expect him to do a little trash talking whenever the opportunity arises.”

The one thing the Dream Team had with Patrick Ewing and David Robinson was the size to match up with a team like Brazil. But it was a different world 20 years ago and it was the impact of the Dream Team that helped make teams like Brazil and Spain and Argentina possible — all teams better than any international 1992 squad — because of how they popularized the sport.

1. cakemixa - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Got my popcorn ready for all the sure to follow political comments/debates.

• andyhr17 - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Nah, I’m sure it won’t lead to stupid political debate. The internet is not full of that. Just as sure as people on the internet hate cats.

2. dannythebisforbeast - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I’ll take the 1992 economy over the 2012 economy

• skids003 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Who wouldn’t? Needs to be working on that.

• blueintown - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Um, I’m not going to get into a big debate here. But you might want to rethink that statement.

3. acdc363 - Jul 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Basketball > politics

4. clmdcbm23 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Besides for this being the smartest thing the man has ever said, I would also like to add that the president was a lot better in 1992. The only difference is that the 2012 Olympic team is at least good but the president totally sucks.

5. mornelithe - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM

This topic’s come up in numerous conversations and I agree with the President, it’s largely a generational thing. Most of the younger individuals I’ve talked to say the 2012 team, and most of the older individuals say the ’92 team.

6. gmacbigd - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Ill take any other president in history over Obama.

7. metalhead65 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM

where is the part he apologized for the US team winning? can’t have the rest of the world upset at the US for being the best in something now can we?

8. sabatimus - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

That’s ok, I’d take Ron Paul over Obama. And yes I know he’s not in the running.

• philtration - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

No… he is ALWAYS running.
      Just no one wants him to be the President but he cannot accept that.

• drunkenjunk - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM

he’ll be ind or libertarian ticket. A lot of people want him to be president just not enough.

9. mogogo1 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Gotta agree with the Prez, particularly after the game last night. For a good chunk of that game I was ready to take Brazil over the 2012 version.

10. tomtravis76 - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

The players are going to show up, this is on Coach K. Might be time to rethink Harden and go get a big. It’s most likely the philosophy of the game I grew up with, and traditional positions. If you have dominate big men and low post physical play, it opens up everything outside. Jordan and Lebron didn’t need them ,so bigs don’t always win. I can’t see this team losing but I never thought a USA team would lose in competition with pros.

• skids003 - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Last time I checked, the coach couldn’t go out on the floor and play for them. Coach K has done a very good job so far of getting this bunch of divas to check their egos, hopefully he can keep it up. But he can’t go out and play for them.

11. isujames - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM

They lost a few years back to some country in a game, with NBA superstars.I believe Kobe and V Carter was on that team, they did manage to come out with a gold medal.

• bougin89 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Bronze in 2004.

12. chitownmatt - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Other than Kobe, does anyone else really think the 2012 team is better???

Anyone who is actually old enough to drink a beer???

• chadc84 - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Without howard, wade, d rose and bosh theres no point in even discussing it.
      With them it gets a little more interesting but ill still take the dream team

13. mannyicey - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

First up, the 2004 Bronze Medal USA Basketball team only had Carmelo and Lebron on that team from this year. They had great players, but none that was good for the FIBA game.

That’s Basketball.

As for politics, Barack Obama’s going to win the next election. Not that he’s doing this great, fantastic job. But it’s because Mitt Romney can’t get out of his own way.

14. latchbeam - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Obama lies.

15. latchbeam - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

And I will take Romney 2012

• cordae - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Right because republicans ALWAYS stick to their word……………………………….

• stayhigh_247 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:53 PM

@ latchbeam & cordae
        republicans & democrats and just different wings of the same bird, after all the smoke clears they are both pushing the same agenda. they just sell it to us like they hate each other….real talk!

16. hpeters77 - Jul 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I’m voting for you President Obama

17. stayhigh_247 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I thought the Pres and the VP were never supposed to be at the same place at the same time. Maybe thats just for planes…..

18. stayhigh_247 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Basketball are the only politics i want to talk about on this site!

19. jordanismyidol - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches