Jul 16, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
When they brought in Steve Nash, the Lakers pushed their chips into the middle of the table to go after the title in the next couple of years. If you’re going that route, you don’t want rookies rounding out the squad, you want reliable veterans on your roster.
Say for example, Grant Hill.
Nash said he wanted Hill to come to LA and that may happen, according to a tweet from John Gambadoro of sports talk 620 KTAR in Phoenix.
Hearing Grant Hill leaning towards Lakers after big push by Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant
Hill will turn 40 before next season tips off but he was a solid starter for the Suns last year, giving them 10.2 points a game in 28 minutes, with a PER of 12.3. Yes, his skills are in decline but if you can keep his minutes down and bring him off the bench, he’s the kind of role player contending teams seem to always find.
The Lakers are not going to pay much, however, likely the veteran minimum or a slice of their taxpayer mid-level exception of $3 million.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 19
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 10
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 15
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months