Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
Ray Allen knows full well that the next time he steps on the parquet in Boston he is going to get booed — he broke up Boston’s “big four” to join the rival Miami Heat.
But Allen is trying to be classy about it and took out a full-page ad in the Sunday Boston Globe to thank Celtics fans for his five years with the team.
Dear Celtics Fans, for the past five years, my family and I took great pride in calling Boston home. We have loved living in this city, being members of the Celtics family and being part of your community. These memories will be cherished forever. From my heart, THANK YOU Boston for this incredible journey. Ray Allen #20.”
Well done, Ray. Some Celtics fans will never forgive… of course, that is the same subset of Celtics fans who would have pulled the trigger to trade him to Memphis at the last trade deadline. Loyalty is a one-way street for fans.
But most Celtics fans are smart and understand, they will remember Allen for the title and big threes, for the way he handled himself in the organization. Right now it’s not pleasant, but they will move on and forgive.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14