Ray Allen takes out newspaper ad to thank Celtics fans

Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT

Ray Allen AP

Ray Allen knows full well that the next time he steps on the parquet in Boston he is going to get booed — he broke up Boston’s “big four” to join the rival Miami Heat.

But Allen is trying to be classy about it and took out a full-page ad in the Sunday Boston Globe to thank Celtics fans for his five years with the team.

Dear Celtics Fans, for the past five years, my family and I took great pride in calling Boston home. We have loved living in this city, being members of the Celtics family and being part of your community. These memories will be cherished forever. From my heart, THANK YOU Boston for this incredible journey. Ray Allen #20.”

Well done, Ray. Some Celtics fans will never forgive… of course, that is the same subset of Celtics fans who would have pulled the trigger to trade him to Memphis at the last trade deadline. Loyalty is a one-way street for fans.

But most Celtics fans are smart and understand, they will remember Allen for the title and big threes, for the way he handled himself in the organization. Right now it’s not pleasant, but they will move on and forgive.

1. andyhr17 - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

If only Lebron would have handled things this way when going to Miami he wouldn’t be as hated as he is today.

Enjoyed Ray Allen while he was a Celtic. He was a big part of their playoff runs. Now he’s the enemy. The end.

• unodosochocinco - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM

LeBron also took out an article in the Akron Beacon-Journal. And it said pretty much the same thing as Ray did here. He could’ve left out The Decision though.

And Ray Allen isn’t an ‘enemy’. He never did anything wrong or hurtful to the Celtics. He’s done a lot of good and now he’s simply a competitor on another team.

The end.

• shoooootum - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

ur comment doesn’t make sense, in one breath ur saying “Lebron shouldve handled things this way” in the same breath ur saying “Now he’s (R Allen) the enemy. The end”
      so basically it doesn’t matter how a player leaves he’s going to he hated regardless.

• thestudiokida - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I’m not defending LeBron but he’s mostly hated because he’s such an elite talent and high profile… he made a stupid special and his profile multiplied it by 100. Ray Allen ditched his team for their rival. That’s way worse than wasting an hour of everybody’s life. I don’t know how he’ll look his former teammates in the face next season when they inevitably meet in the playoffs.

• j0esixpack - Jul 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Most fans are able to separate the team from the person.

No Boston fan will be rooting for Miami to do well.

That doesn’t mean they think of Ray Allen, a high caliber individual who made significant contributions to the team, their 17th banner, and the community, as “the enemy”

2. miamatt - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Ray always has been and always will be a class act. I’ve enjoyed watching him ever since that year the Bucks made the eastern conference finals. I can understand Boston fans hating the fact that Allen went to Miami, but I can’t understand any of them hating the man.

I’m pretty sure most Boston fans appreciate his time there, and if they don’t, they will in time.

3. rodge1 - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Only crybabies hate LeBron. Dwight Howard, Carmelo, and many more should be disliked more because they handled their situations much worse. Get over it

• berto55 - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Don’t worry, us crybabies don’t like those guys either, but we’ll take them on our team anytime. Well, except Carmelo, you can keep that guy. P.S. Our dislike for LBJ goes far beyond him leaving Cleveland

• elComandanteenJefe - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I disliked Michael Jordan for destroying my Showtime Lakers as a kid and then my hometown Heat (once we finally got a team in Miami), only to later on wish that he was playing for my team. Luckily for me, Miami brought along the great Pat Riley and the rest is history.

I also disliked LeBron, Caramelo, and Bosh being that we ended up with the 5th pick that year and have since been more than satisfied with Wade. Would I have been happy with Wade leaving, no, but he was a free agent at the time and could have chose what to do and how to do it. In the end, I am not complaining and support the Heat overall and more so LeBron for the scrutiny he has faced. As for Caramelo, please keep him away from the Heat, forever.

• mikejd12 - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The hate for LBJ stems from one thing that you pathetic fools cant get over and that. The decision tv show. There is nothing else. I have argued with lebron haters all season and thats all they ever came back to.”The decision was the worst thing ever”. Get over it Lebron went on NATIONAL tv and appoligized for that. Want a handy also?

4. legeisyaj - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

No reason for hatefulness here.
    Veteran guy, good teammate, hall of famer…he made a choice. He has the right and he’s earned it.

• loungefly74 - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM

agree. getting that ring in Beantown sealed his leagacy there.

• loungefly74 - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM

agree. getting that ring in Beantown sealed his legacy there.

• lookitsgreen - Jul 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

As a Celtic fan, I love Ray. He acted like a pro and put his heart out playing for Boston. He will forever be respected but he is the ENEMY now. He also earned that by his choice.

5. mrgoodbar216 - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Trust me they will not forgive, im from cleveland and these fools here still talk crap about lebron. The ones who hate him now will hate him forever.

• acdc363 - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You’re really comparing apples and oranges here man I don’t hate Ray and I doubt I’m the only Celtics fan that doesn’t.

6. borderline1988 - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I wish Chris Bosh had done this when he left Toronto.

Taking out an ad like what Allen did doesn’t cost these guys anything (relatively) and takes literally 2 seconds to arrange and write up.
    Yet it’s the classy thing to do and the fans will love you for it.

7. mornelithe - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I think things would’ve been much different if Ray would’ve been a major reason for the C’s deep playoff run last year, to be honest. If anything, last season showed the C’s can actually do without Ray, and still be pretty competitive. I don’t mean that as a knock, I think it actually helped softened the blow of what was bound to happen eventually (players being snatched up in FA).

His time on the C’s was pretty special though, and it’s hard to hold him going to the Heat with too much ill-will. I mean, I certainly won’t be cheering for him when they play against the Celtics (I won’t be booing him either), but I certainly do wish him the best and thank him for the great 5 years.

8. magicbucs - Jul 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Kudos to the mommas boy

9. pellypell - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Ray who?

10. mikejd12 - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Stay classy ray diego.

11. jtm12180 - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

That’s about as classy as it gets! Well played Ray, and good luck!!

12. jjordannba - Jul 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

“Some Celtics fans will never forgive… of course, that is the same subset of Celtics fans who would have pulled the trigger to trade him to Memphis at the last trade deadline.”……..No Kurt, that’s a pretty stupid thing to say, if I didn’t want him gone now why would I want him gone then?

13. canehouse - Jul 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Ray is a class act… and we Heat fans are happy to have him as a part of the South Florida community! In contrast… I wonder if the Knick fans are thrilled with Jason Kidd stumbling, drooling, and crashing all over the Hamptons? What a mess!

14. azerortop - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM

BENEDICTALLEN or JUDASSHUTTLESWORTH….. Left us for the ENEMY …. Just a baby fanbase as the heat would not understand that…..what rivals do the heat ever had? Its understandable that heat bandweagoners dont see it…..tinny history for it!!!

15. rushledger - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Look there’s two big reasons to hate Lebron 1 he had a one hour tv special to announce what he was gonna do, who does that? That’s ridiculous on any levels especially since he burned his home state and team to top it off. 2 he and dwade and Bosch said they were gonna get not 4 not 5 but 6 rings!? Seriously who says that that’s ego trip and a half. If he would have let Cleveland know e was leaving maybe they could of traded his rights or something.

16. asublimeday - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Ugh, I wish Kurt would just go away.

17. dysraw1 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Ray is 1 classy guy

18. bballnatic - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Love you Ray. Love my Celtics and the joy you guys brought us for 5 years. Leaving to go where you feel you want to be is ok ( also your prerogative). Still love #20.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches