Jul 16, 2012, 9:17 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks picked up quite a few rookies in this year’s NBA Draft and, to no one’s surprise, they’ve all ended up in Vegas at the annual Summer League. They’ve all shown flashes, but the most impressive player in the early-goings has been Marquette wing Jae Crowder.
Crowder hasn’t been putting up huge numbers, which has never been his M.O., but he’s played pretty well through two games in Vegas while showing the intensity and hustle he was known for prior to entering the NBA. The fun part, though, is that he also displayed a bit of flash on his smart passes, an improved jumper and even put the ball on the floor effectively on Monday afternoon at the Cox Pavilion as he played in front of his college coach Buzz Williams, who was seated courtside.
Crowder’s final box score in the Mavs first game was a bit underwhelming as he shot 4-of-12 and had three turnovers, but his play on Monday was a bit more impressive as he finished with 15 points, four rebounds, a steal, a block and just one turnover while making 2-of-4 from behind the 3-point line. He played better with his former college coach watching from just a few feet away, but even though those numbers are solid, it is still only Summer League … which is why his effort level was so nice to see.
There are a lot of players in Vegas that have put forth solid attempts in the effort department, but none do it with the intensity that Crowder does — whether it’s hustling for a rebound, running the court hard on the breakaway or just going 100 miles an hour on defense, he does it like he’s playing for his job.
Provided he makes the Mavericks this fall, Crowder should be one of the more fun rookies to watch next season in the NBA. And, if his skills have improved as much as it’s seemed through the first couple of games in Vegas, he might even be known as more of an “energy player” when the regular season rolls around.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8