Jul 16, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT
Love them or hate them, the Miami Heat are the NBA’s biggest attraction right now. So the league is sending them to the world’s most populous country.
The Heat and Clippers will play two exhibition preseason games and some other publicity stops in China before the start of next season, reports Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel.
As expected, the Heat have been scheduled for a pair of games in China during the 2012 preseason. A source familiar with the scheduling confirmed Sunday to the Sun Sentinel that the Heat will play the Los Angeles Clippers in those games, Oct. 11 in Beijing and Oct. 14 in Shanghai.
The NBA had sent teams to China for five preseasons in a row prior to the lockout-shortened season last year when the entire preseason schedule was cut back to a couple games per team. This tour takes stars like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul to the emerging market to help promote the league (and Nike is probably pretty good with this, too).
The Dallas Mavericks and other NBA teams will also be making preseason stops in Europe as David Stern continues his quest for globalization of the NBA.
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 5
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 9
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 6
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 3
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay