Jul 15, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
The Phoenix Suns have won the amnesty bidding war for Luis Scola, teams around the league have been told, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com. Scola was amnestied by the Houston Rockets as part of Daryl Morey’s quixotic quest for Dwight Howard.
The Suns also used their own amnesty on Josh Childress Sunday, throwing him out on the bidding wire for teams under the salary cap.
We don’t know Phoenix’s bid amount that won them Scola but for the next two years the Suns will pay the bid amount of Scola’s deal, the Rockets will pick up the rest. According to Larry Coon of ESPN, the bid amount is spread out pro-rata among the guaranteed years of the contract, and Scola’s third non-guaranteed salary of $11 million is added on top of that for each year. Meaning that the Suns had to bid at least $3 million for this season but upwards of $10 million for the other years on the deal.
Scola has the dubious distinction of being the best player ever amnestied. He averaged 15.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game last season, 18.3 and 8 the season before. He is an above average NBA big man who may not be an All-Star but would fit on most teams.
The question is fit. The Suns have Frye at the four to spread the floor, plus Morris has looked good in his first Summer League game, outclassing the competition with his athleticism. Scola plays a less athletic but headier game them both of them. The question is what style do the Suns play next year, you’d think something similar with Goran Dragic at the point and Alvin Gentry as coach. But how does Scola fit into that?
The amnesty of Childress was an expected move irrespective of the Scola signing. He was a poor fit for the Suns but could provide some value in the right system. Plus, Childress may rock the best hair in the game.
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 0
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 42
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60