Jul 15, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
The Phoenix Suns have won the amnesty bidding war for Luis Scola, teams around the league have been told, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com. Scola was amnestied by the Houston Rockets as part of Daryl Morey’s quixotic quest for Dwight Howard.
The Suns also used their own amnesty on Josh Childress Sunday, throwing him out on the bidding wire for teams under the salary cap.
We don’t know Phoenix’s bid amount that won them Scola but for the next two years the Suns will pay the bid amount of Scola’s deal, the Rockets will pick up the rest. According to Larry Coon of ESPN, the bid amount is spread out pro-rata among the guaranteed years of the contract, and Scola’s third non-guaranteed salary of $11 million is added on top of that for each year. Meaning that the Suns had to bid at least $3 million for this season but upwards of $10 million for the other years on the deal.
Scola has the dubious distinction of being the best player ever amnestied. He averaged 15.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game last season, 18.3 and 8 the season before. He is an above average NBA big man who may not be an All-Star but would fit on most teams.
The question is fit. The Suns have Frye at the four to spread the floor, plus Morris has looked good in his first Summer League game, outclassing the competition with his athleticism. Scola plays a less athletic but headier game them both of them. The question is what style do the Suns play next year, you’d think something similar with Goran Dragic at the point and Alvin Gentry as coach. But how does Scola fit into that?
The amnesty of Childress was an expected move irrespective of the Scola signing. He was a poor fit for the Suns but could provide some value in the right system. Plus, Childress may rock the best hair in the game.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 26
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25