Jul 15, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
It looks more and more like the rumor that Jacque Vaughn is the frontrunner for the Magic head coaching job is a lot more realty than gossip.
Both Brian Shaw and Mike Malone — the first two guys interviewed for the job — have pulled their names out of consideration.
Shaw, the former Phil Jackson right hand man and current Pacers lead assistant, pulled his name out, as did Warriors lead assistant Mike Malone, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Malone interviewed this weekend for the Portland coaching position that is open.
Spurs assistant and former NBA player Vaughn was rumored to be the guy in the lead for the Magic job and this pretty much confirms it.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 36
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17