Shaw, Malone both pull out of Magic coaching search

Jul 15, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT

Brian Shaw

It looks more and more like the rumor that Jacque Vaughn is the frontrunner for the Magic head coaching job is a lot more realty than gossip.

Both Brian Shaw and Mike Malone — the first two guys interviewed for the job — have pulled their names out of consideration.

Shaw, the former Phil Jackson right hand man and current Pacers lead assistant, pulled his name out, as did Warriors lead assistant Mike Malone, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Malone interviewed this weekend for the Portland coaching position that is open.

Spurs assistant and former NBA player Vaughn was rumored to be the guy in the lead for the Magic job and this pretty much confirms it.

1. jjviolin1 - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM

why is my stuff not posting?

• raidmagic - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I don’t know, why?

2. hockeytown19540 - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I know right!!!! My stuff doesn’t post either. What’s up with this dollar store app!!!!!

3. raidmagic - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Man this has been the most confusing most annoying off season in my 20 years of being a Magic Fan…just ugh!

4. Dan M. - Jul 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Two links to your own old story (which was based on a tweet by an actual Yahoo source), a link to another tweet (from a Magic source), and a blatant spelling error in the first sentence. Voila! A PBT post!

5. metalhead65 - Jul 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM

as a pacer fan it’s to bad Shaw did not get the job but we will be happy to have him back working with the young pacers and helping them get to the next level.

6. bigtrav425 - Jul 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Every time I turn around Shaw is withdrawing his name!….maybe this is why the guy hasn’t got a job yet…and what’s with guys withdrawing there name if they are possibly in line for a head coaching job,mostly in the NBA to I have noticed.if my goal was to be a head coach I’d see it thru until I was told no.you never know who you might impress and could give you a good reference to someone else etc etcq

7. redblue560 - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:41 AM

It will be hard for Brian Shaw to get a head coaching job in the league because he is always going to be in the shadow of Phil Jackson’s success with the Lakers. He probably should settle in with another team or the Pacers for now, contribute whatever he can to the team’s success and see if the opportunity comes knocking. He seems to be putting his name in every head coaching vacancies and if you are not picked each time, management will have doubts why you were not selected.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches