Jul 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
“If I had played a little better, maybe we wouldn’t be having this talk,” Williams said Friday, July 13, on the first day of the Timberwolves’ minicamp at Target Center to prepare for next week’s NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. “I had an up-and-down rookie season. I know I can play better than what I did. Hopefully, I can play better next season.”
That’s Wolves forward Derrick Williams on trade rumors surrounding him possibly being sent to the Trail Blazers in a possible sign-and-trade for Nicolas Batum as Portland weighs matching Minnesota’s offer for Batum or arranging a sign-and-trade with the Timberwolves.
In an NBA where players are understandably defensive due to the fan and media criticism, where so many guys pass the buck to injuries, teammates, coaches, personal lives, whatever, it’s really nice to see a young player entering his second season actually taking responsibility.
Williams is young, and has a lot of games ahead of him. He’s not the youngest with so many years in college, but he’s still got a lot of upside. His tweener status makes things difficult, as does where he’s at in Minnesota. He could play the 3 on some teams, but not with how he fits with the Wolves. He could play the 4 for a lot of teams, but not with Kevin Love in Minnesota. A fresh start wouldn’t be the worst thing for him. The Wolves were shopping the No.2 pick they used on him up until the last minute for a reason.
But this kind of quote should stand out. He could lash out, or blame coaching, or management or teammates. He could just talk about how he’s not worried about it and only focused on the future. But he owns up to it. Wish we saw more of this from players in the league. Cheers, Derrick.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15