Jul 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
“If I had played a little better, maybe we wouldn’t be having this talk,” Williams said Friday, July 13, on the first day of the Timberwolves’ minicamp at Target Center to prepare for next week’s NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. “I had an up-and-down rookie season. I know I can play better than what I did. Hopefully, I can play better next season.”
That’s Wolves forward Derrick Williams on trade rumors surrounding him possibly being sent to the Trail Blazers in a possible sign-and-trade for Nicolas Batum as Portland weighs matching Minnesota’s offer for Batum or arranging a sign-and-trade with the Timberwolves.
In an NBA where players are understandably defensive due to the fan and media criticism, where so many guys pass the buck to injuries, teammates, coaches, personal lives, whatever, it’s really nice to see a young player entering his second season actually taking responsibility.
Williams is young, and has a lot of games ahead of him. He’s not the youngest with so many years in college, but he’s still got a lot of upside. His tweener status makes things difficult, as does where he’s at in Minnesota. He could play the 3 on some teams, but not with how he fits with the Wolves. He could play the 4 for a lot of teams, but not with Kevin Love in Minnesota. A fresh start wouldn’t be the worst thing for him. The Wolves were shopping the No.2 pick they used on him up until the last minute for a reason.
But this kind of quote should stand out. He could lash out, or blame coaching, or management or teammates. He could just talk about how he’s not worried about it and only focused on the future. But he owns up to it. Wish we saw more of this from players in the league. Cheers, Derrick.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20