Jul 15, 2012, 12:13 AM EDT
The NBA Summer League has had a lot of solid players doing a lot of solid things, but there hasn’t been a player able to create a buzz quite like Blake Griffin, John Wall or any of the other Summer League stars of yonder years. It looked like Kyrie Irving might be that player considering top pick Anthony Davis is absent, but that apparently (and unfortunately) will not be the case.
The Cleveland Cavaliers quick and crafty point guard suffered a hand fracture at practice on Saturday morning and, unfortunately, it didn’t even happen while he was making a basketball play. In fact, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears, the injury happened when play on the court was stopped.
Cavs say Kyrie fractured hand by slapping the padding on gym wall at practice. Cavs say initial projection to return start of training camp. Irving sent to the hospital for hand X-rays after experiencing stronger pain on bus ride back from practice. Surgery likely late next week.
The buzz inside the Summer League gym indicates that Irving’s hand is currently in a cast — overly unfortunate considering the timing, even if he is expected to be back in time for the start of training camp.
If Spears’ report proves to be true (and there’s really no reason for it not to be), this will go down as one of the more lame-brained injuries in the history of basketball. It won’t have quite the impact that Amare Stoudemire punching a fire extinguisher during the playoffs did simply because of the timing, but this happened while practicing for an exhibition Summer League game in practice.
Yep, we’re talking about practice.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36