Jul 15, 2012, 12:13 AM EDT
The NBA Summer League has had a lot of solid players doing a lot of solid things, but there hasn’t been a player able to create a buzz quite like Blake Griffin, John Wall or any of the other Summer League stars of yonder years. It looked like Kyrie Irving might be that player considering top pick Anthony Davis is absent, but that apparently (and unfortunately) will not be the case.
The Cleveland Cavaliers quick and crafty point guard suffered a hand fracture at practice on Saturday morning and, unfortunately, it didn’t even happen while he was making a basketball play. In fact, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears, the injury happened when play on the court was stopped.
Cavs say Kyrie fractured hand by slapping the padding on gym wall at practice. Cavs say initial projection to return start of training camp. Irving sent to the hospital for hand X-rays after experiencing stronger pain on bus ride back from practice. Surgery likely late next week.
The buzz inside the Summer League gym indicates that Irving’s hand is currently in a cast — overly unfortunate considering the timing, even if he is expected to be back in time for the start of training camp.
If Spears’ report proves to be true (and there’s really no reason for it not to be), this will go down as one of the more lame-brained injuries in the history of basketball. It won’t have quite the impact that Amare Stoudemire punching a fire extinguisher during the playoffs did simply because of the timing, but this happened while practicing for an exhibition Summer League game in practice.
Yep, we’re talking about practice.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 0
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 39
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55