Jul 15, 2012, 12:13 AM EST
The NBA Summer League has had a lot of solid players doing a lot of solid things, but there hasn’t been a player able to create a buzz quite like Blake Griffin, John Wall or any of the other Summer League stars of yonder years. It looked like Kyrie Irving might be that player considering top pick Anthony Davis is absent, but that apparently (and unfortunately) will not be the case.
The Cleveland Cavaliers quick and crafty point guard suffered a hand fracture at practice on Saturday morning and, unfortunately, it didn’t even happen while he was making a basketball play. In fact, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears, the injury happened when play on the court was stopped.
Cavs say Kyrie fractured hand by slapping the padding on gym wall at practice. Cavs say initial projection to return start of training camp. Irving sent to the hospital for hand X-rays after experiencing stronger pain on bus ride back from practice. Surgery likely late next week.
The buzz inside the Summer League gym indicates that Irving’s hand is currently in a cast — overly unfortunate considering the timing, even if he is expected to be back in time for the start of training camp.
If Spears’ report proves to be true (and there’s really no reason for it not to be), this will go down as one of the more lame-brained injuries in the history of basketball. It won’t have quite the impact that Amare Stoudemire punching a fire extinguisher during the playoffs did simply because of the timing, but this happened while practicing for an exhibition Summer League game in practice.
Yep, we’re talking about practice.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 0
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 22
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 51
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)