Jul 14, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
ESPN reports that the Cavaliers are considering making an amnesty bid on Luis Scola. The minimum bid on Scola’s $21 million remaining is $3 million the first season and a $10 million total. The Mavericks are also interested, despite picking up Elton Brand off the wire.
The idea of the Cavs picking up Scola is very interesting. They have Anderson Varejao, and the idea has been floated that if the Cavaliers got Scola, they’d trade Varejao. The complicating factor here is Tristan Thompson. Some in the Cavs organization think that Thompson can float at the five. Scola would be a poor fit at the four. They could also throw out Tyler Zeller if they needed to. But trying to slide Scola into Varejao’s spot would cause issues as Scola’s rebounding abilities deteriorate with age.
It’s definitely worth the money, though, with the Cavaliers need for veterans to bring the young team to the next step and losing Antawn Jamison in free agency. The Mavericks have roughly $4 million left in cap space after acquiring Elton Brand. That might be enough, but if the Cavs come in with an offer over $4, they can nab him, unless someone else gets itchy. Scola’s likely to be the top amnesty prospect since the process was implemented in last December’s CBA.
In the off chance that Scola slips through the cracks of the wire and becomes a free agent, a virtual impossibility, the Spurs and Heat would both be interested in adding him. Scola was actually drafted by the Spurs, one of the few times they let a talented foreign player slip from their grasp.
(Basically, if there is a veteran free agent who can still walk without prosthetics, the Heat are interested, just a heads up.)
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 11
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43