Jul 14, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
ESPN reports that the Cavaliers are considering making an amnesty bid on Luis Scola. The minimum bid on Scola’s $21 million remaining is $3 million the first season and a $10 million total. The Mavericks are also interested, despite picking up Elton Brand off the wire.
The idea of the Cavs picking up Scola is very interesting. They have Anderson Varejao, and the idea has been floated that if the Cavaliers got Scola, they’d trade Varejao. The complicating factor here is Tristan Thompson. Some in the Cavs organization think that Thompson can float at the five. Scola would be a poor fit at the four. They could also throw out Tyler Zeller if they needed to. But trying to slide Scola into Varejao’s spot would cause issues as Scola’s rebounding abilities deteriorate with age.
It’s definitely worth the money, though, with the Cavaliers need for veterans to bring the young team to the next step and losing Antawn Jamison in free agency. The Mavericks have roughly $4 million left in cap space after acquiring Elton Brand. That might be enough, but if the Cavs come in with an offer over $4, they can nab him, unless someone else gets itchy. Scola’s likely to be the top amnesty prospect since the process was implemented in last December’s CBA.
In the off chance that Scola slips through the cracks of the wire and becomes a free agent, a virtual impossibility, the Spurs and Heat would both be interested in adding him. Scola was actually drafted by the Spurs, one of the few times they let a talented foreign player slip from their grasp.
(Basically, if there is a veteran free agent who can still walk without prosthetics, the Heat are interested, just a heads up.)
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 2
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 47
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61