Jul 13, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
You know who Brian Shaw is, the former right hand man to Phil Jackson. You may have heard of Mike Malone, the current Warriors assistant who has been on top of the assistant coaching tree for a couple years now.
But former NBA player Jacque Vaughn may be beating them both out for the open Orlando coaching vacancy, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The candidacy of San Antonio assistant Jacque Vaughn has gathered momentum in Orlando’s coaching search, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Shaw and Malone were interviewed, as were Quin Snyder (who just left the Lakers as an assistant to take a similar role with CSKA Moscow), Suns player development specialist Lindsey Hunter, and Jazz assistant Jeff Hornacek.
Vaughn has been learning from Gregg Popovich for a while, and if you’re looking to build an organization on the Spurs model (which is a good model to follow) then getting a coach from there makes sense.
My question: Why not long-time Spurs lead assistant Mike Budenholzer?
Not to knock Vaughn, who seems to have stepped to the front of the line. Remember that this is not a done deal at all and someone else entirely may land the gig.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85