Jul 13, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
You know who Brian Shaw is, the former right hand man to Phil Jackson. You may have heard of Mike Malone, the current Warriors assistant who has been on top of the assistant coaching tree for a couple years now.
But former NBA player Jacque Vaughn may be beating them both out for the open Orlando coaching vacancy, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The candidacy of San Antonio assistant Jacque Vaughn has gathered momentum in Orlando’s coaching search, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Shaw and Malone were interviewed, as were Quin Snyder (who just left the Lakers as an assistant to take a similar role with CSKA Moscow), Suns player development specialist Lindsey Hunter, and Jazz assistant Jeff Hornacek.
Vaughn has been learning from Gregg Popovich for a while, and if you’re looking to build an organization on the Spurs model (which is a good model to follow) then getting a coach from there makes sense.
My question: Why not long-time Spurs lead assistant Mike Budenholzer?
Not to knock Vaughn, who seems to have stepped to the front of the line. Remember that this is not a done deal at all and someone else entirely may land the gig.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 15
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32