Jul 13, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
You know who Brian Shaw is, the former right hand man to Phil Jackson. You may have heard of Mike Malone, the current Warriors assistant who has been on top of the assistant coaching tree for a couple years now.
But former NBA player Jacque Vaughn may be beating them both out for the open Orlando coaching vacancy, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The candidacy of San Antonio assistant Jacque Vaughn has gathered momentum in Orlando’s coaching search, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Shaw and Malone were interviewed, as were Quin Snyder (who just left the Lakers as an assistant to take a similar role with CSKA Moscow), Suns player development specialist Lindsey Hunter, and Jazz assistant Jeff Hornacek.
Vaughn has been learning from Gregg Popovich for a while, and if you’re looking to build an organization on the Spurs model (which is a good model to follow) then getting a coach from there makes sense.
My question: Why not long-time Spurs lead assistant Mike Budenholzer?
Not to knock Vaughn, who seems to have stepped to the front of the line. Remember that this is not a done deal at all and someone else entirely may land the gig.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32