Jul 13, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
You know who Brian Shaw is, the former right hand man to Phil Jackson. You may have heard of Mike Malone, the current Warriors assistant who has been on top of the assistant coaching tree for a couple years now.
But former NBA player Jacque Vaughn may be beating them both out for the open Orlando coaching vacancy, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The candidacy of San Antonio assistant Jacque Vaughn has gathered momentum in Orlando’s coaching search, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Shaw and Malone were interviewed, as were Quin Snyder (who just left the Lakers as an assistant to take a similar role with CSKA Moscow), Suns player development specialist Lindsey Hunter, and Jazz assistant Jeff Hornacek.
Vaughn has been learning from Gregg Popovich for a while, and if you’re looking to build an organization on the Spurs model (which is a good model to follow) then getting a coach from there makes sense.
My question: Why not long-time Spurs lead assistant Mike Budenholzer?
Not to knock Vaughn, who seems to have stepped to the front of the line. Remember that this is not a done deal at all and someone else entirely may land the gig.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 5
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 12
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 23
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final