Report: Nuggets offer JaVale McGee five years, $50 million

Jul 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT

JaVale McGee Getty Images

Athletic big men in the NBA get paid. Actually, the better way to phrase that is NBA big men get over paid. It’s simple supply and demand, there just aren’t many of them.

Enter JaVale McGee.

Denver traded for McGee (from Washington) in the middle of last season and got 10.3 points and 5.8 rebounds a game from him. But he did it efficiently — he shot 61.2 percent and gave them a couple blocks a game, with a PER of 20.2. The question, as always with McGee, is mental focus. His blunders are the thing you YouTube legend.

Still, the Nuggets are going big after him, reports the Denver Post. And it may not be enough.

The Nuggets continue to pursue restricted free-agent center JaVale McGee, who has a five-year, $50 million offer on the table, a source said. But McGee’s representatives don’t appear to be in a hurry to get a deal done and will continue to negotiate.

That is the state of big men in the NBA. They get overpaid. Brook Lopez just got a max deal from the Nets and that leaves McGee thinking he should get more. And so we wait. And wait.

1. allmyteamsareterrible - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM

wow, that’s surprising. he has potential but is there a bigger bone head in the league? he played well for them so I see that, but it is really hard for me to erase the Washington McGee from memory. Apparently it’s not that hard for Denver. Hope it works out the kid has potential but he also has equal potential to be a bone head.

2. heat256 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Curse my genes for not making me 7’0″ tall. I could trip over a blade of grass but I’d still get $6 million a year in the NBA

3. chadsay - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

“Post him up, JaVale!”

4. aboogy123456 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM

All the people who were saying the wizards trade was bad because Nene was overpaid, now look at what McGee is getting. I would much rather have Nene at $13 million than McGee for $10 million. McGee can block shots but Nene actually knows what to do with a ball in his hands, and gives Wall an inside post presence.

5. monstoro15 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Nene was too old to be running the way the Nuggets do. The fast-break is what makes the Nuggets a challenging team. and he was always the last to cross the half court line.
    Javale McGee is a perfect fit for he nuggets. he can run and is super athletic. he plays off the ball and lets the offense come tto him,another thing that blends in very well with the nuggets style of play.
    I’d rather pay a center who can play defense, and has offensive sparks(I.E. First Round vs the lakers) 10 mill. Than pay 13 mill to an old, undersized center, who can’t play defense;his offensive game has also regressed a lot this year.
    Simply put….McGee is a perfect got fore the Nuggets.

6. miamatt - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM

They would have been better off overpaying Nene. Sheeeeeeeesh.

7. papichulo55 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

$10 mil? The stuff that dreams are made of. A hot wife and a rich son-in-law. Holla! Be sure to let Moms know that the roses are from me.

Seriously. Congrats, you gettin paid to play for one of the best coaches in the game. Stay healthy, continue to improve your game, and hire people to watch the people that you hired to take care of your money.

8. rockthered1286 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Good luck with that one. McGee is a timid version of Cousins. Arrogant and stupid. He could be so much more if he just focused on his game but I guess that’s why the Wiz had no issues parting ways with Javale and his childish antics.

9. steviep23 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

WOW

10. paulhargis53 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

10.3 and5.8 are worth 10 million a year?!?!

This is pathetic. A guy that big and he can’t even get 6 boards a game?!

None of these guys are worth the $.

There are a handful of superstars in the league, the rest are just so so to garbage.

No fundamentals, stupid playing, always looking to make sportscenter.

It’s amazing what passes for greatness in today’s nba. It’s shameful that he thinks he deserves more.
    Those are a back ups statistics, not starters.
    I guess what do I expect when 10 and 10 is considered extraordinary.
    When guys like Garnett, Allen, Kobe etc retire,I’m done with the nba.
    The game will be a shadow of what it once was after that. The cracks are showing already.

11. watermelon1 - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

McGee is
    Young but he’s nothing like the attitudinal cousins.

I think it’s wise
    For any team in need of a big man to offer this guy the same contract. Orlando could sure use him. But for mcgees development… It’s best if he has a good veteran player or two around him.

12. kwf1224 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I think this is a great idea.

13. lakerluver - Jul 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Though I must admit McGee has skills, it must really be nice to be 7 ft!!

14. cheers4ablumpkin - Jul 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

LOL

15. saint1997 - Jul 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

McGee thinks??? pfffft

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches