Jul 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Athletic big men in the NBA get paid. Actually, the better way to phrase that is NBA big men get over paid. It’s simple supply and demand, there just aren’t many of them.
Enter JaVale McGee.
Denver traded for McGee (from Washington) in the middle of last season and got 10.3 points and 5.8 rebounds a game from him. But he did it efficiently — he shot 61.2 percent and gave them a couple blocks a game, with a PER of 20.2. The question, as always with McGee, is mental focus. His blunders are the thing you YouTube legend.
Still, the Nuggets are going big after him, reports the Denver Post. And it may not be enough.
The Nuggets continue to pursue restricted free-agent center JaVale McGee, who has a five-year, $50 million offer on the table, a source said. But McGee’s representatives don’t appear to be in a hurry to get a deal done and will continue to negotiate.
That is the state of big men in the NBA. They get overpaid. Brook Lopez just got a max deal from the Nets and that leaves McGee thinking he should get more. And so we wait. And wait.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 27
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16