Jul 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Athletic big men in the NBA get paid. Actually, the better way to phrase that is NBA big men get over paid. It’s simple supply and demand, there just aren’t many of them.
Enter JaVale McGee.
Denver traded for McGee (from Washington) in the middle of last season and got 10.3 points and 5.8 rebounds a game from him. But he did it efficiently — he shot 61.2 percent and gave them a couple blocks a game, with a PER of 20.2. The question, as always with McGee, is mental focus. His blunders are the thing you YouTube legend.
Still, the Nuggets are going big after him, reports the Denver Post. And it may not be enough.
The Nuggets continue to pursue restricted free-agent center JaVale McGee, who has a five-year, $50 million offer on the table, a source said. But McGee’s representatives don’t appear to be in a hurry to get a deal done and will continue to negotiate.
That is the state of big men in the NBA. They get overpaid. Brook Lopez just got a max deal from the Nets and that leaves McGee thinking he should get more. And so we wait. And wait.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 2
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 18
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49