Jul 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Athletic big men in the NBA get paid. Actually, the better way to phrase that is NBA big men get over paid. It’s simple supply and demand, there just aren’t many of them.
Enter JaVale McGee.
Denver traded for McGee (from Washington) in the middle of last season and got 10.3 points and 5.8 rebounds a game from him. But he did it efficiently — he shot 61.2 percent and gave them a couple blocks a game, with a PER of 20.2. The question, as always with McGee, is mental focus. His blunders are the thing you YouTube legend.
Still, the Nuggets are going big after him, reports the Denver Post. And it may not be enough.
The Nuggets continue to pursue restricted free-agent center JaVale McGee, who has a five-year, $50 million offer on the table, a source said. But McGee’s representatives don’t appear to be in a hurry to get a deal done and will continue to negotiate.
That is the state of big men in the NBA. They get overpaid. Brook Lopez just got a max deal from the Nets and that leaves McGee thinking he should get more. And so we wait. And wait.
- Doc Rivers, Clippers players oppose raising NBA’s age limit 15
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 66
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 32
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 45
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33