Jul 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
Athletic big men in the NBA get paid. Actually, the better way to phrase that is NBA big men get over paid. It’s simple supply and demand, there just aren’t many of them.
Enter JaVale McGee.
Denver traded for McGee (from Washington) in the middle of last season and got 10.3 points and 5.8 rebounds a game from him. But he did it efficiently — he shot 61.2 percent and gave them a couple blocks a game, with a PER of 20.2. The question, as always with McGee, is mental focus. His blunders are the thing you YouTube legend.
Still, the Nuggets are going big after him, reports the Denver Post. And it may not be enough.
The Nuggets continue to pursue restricted free-agent center JaVale McGee, who has a five-year, $50 million offer on the table, a source said. But McGee’s representatives don’t appear to be in a hurry to get a deal done and will continue to negotiate.
That is the state of big men in the NBA. They get overpaid. Brook Lopez just got a max deal from the Nets and that leaves McGee thinking he should get more. And so we wait. And wait.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 0
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 45
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13