Jul 13, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Philadelphia cake shops, you’ve been warned.
The Philadelphia 76ers have reached a two-year, $6 million deal to bring in Kwame Brown, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. The second year is a player option. There is no chance Brown doesn’t pick up that option.
Philly fans and bloggers are going to have fun with this. Taking shots at the former No. 1 overall pick, the guy yelled at by Jordan and who frustrated Kobe Bryant, is as challenging as mocking the Twilight movies. It’s barely worth the effort.
The thing is, at that price Brown is not a terrible backup big man. He’ll frustrate Doug Collins with his defensive rotations (or lack thereof), he will fumble passes out of bounds, but he will also play solid man defense on the block and grab a few rebounds. If you compare him to expectations he is a bust. But if he had been a late first round or second round pick, he’d be another nondescript NBA journeyman.
Which is what he is now.
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 13
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 3
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 25
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 27
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 25