Jul 13, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Philadelphia cake shops, you’ve been warned.
The Philadelphia 76ers have reached a two-year, $6 million deal to bring in Kwame Brown, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. The second year is a player option. There is no chance Brown doesn’t pick up that option.
Philly fans and bloggers are going to have fun with this. Taking shots at the former No. 1 overall pick, the guy yelled at by Jordan and who frustrated Kobe Bryant, is as challenging as mocking the Twilight movies. It’s barely worth the effort.
The thing is, at that price Brown is not a terrible backup big man. He’ll frustrate Doug Collins with his defensive rotations (or lack thereof), he will fumble passes out of bounds, but he will also play solid man defense on the block and grab a few rebounds. If you compare him to expectations he is a bust. But if he had been a late first round or second round pick, he’d be another nondescript NBA journeyman.
Which is what he is now.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16