Jul 13, 2012, 7:35 PM EST
Can you really picture Phil Jackson coaching the Portland Trail Blazers?
Neither can Phil Jackson, apparently.
But the offer was there, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.
For the last few months, the Trail Blazers have been in back-and-forth discussions with Phil Jackson in an attempt to persuade him to take their head coaching vacancy, a close source said.
Last week, Jackson’s agent, Todd Musburger, informed the Trail Blazers that Jackson was flattered, but has decided he would not coach this upcoming season.
Blazers GM Neil Olshey confirmed that the sides talked but said Jackson decided this wasn’t the right time. How far this went and how serious it got is up to you to decide, but my guess is not very.
Portland is rebuilding a franchise right now, trying to rework a roster on the fly around LaMarcus Aldridge. They are a couple years away and are just flat out not going to be all that good next season. That’s not what Jackson is going to sign on for.
I still contend I don’t think Jackson ever returns to an NBA bench, I don’t think he wants to do the physical grind of the regular season anymore. He wants more the consultant to the GM or president role somewhere. In the mean time, he’ll just write a book and get richer.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 2
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6