Jul 13, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT
Can you really picture Phil Jackson coaching the Portland Trail Blazers?
Neither can Phil Jackson, apparently.
But the offer was there, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.
For the last few months, the Trail Blazers have been in back-and-forth discussions with Phil Jackson in an attempt to persuade him to take their head coaching vacancy, a close source said.
Last week, Jackson’s agent, Todd Musburger, informed the Trail Blazers that Jackson was flattered, but has decided he would not coach this upcoming season.
Blazers GM Neil Olshey confirmed that the sides talked but said Jackson decided this wasn’t the right time. How far this went and how serious it got is up to you to decide, but my guess is not very.
Portland is rebuilding a franchise right now, trying to rework a roster on the fly around LaMarcus Aldridge. They are a couple years away and are just flat out not going to be all that good next season. That’s not what Jackson is going to sign on for.
I still contend I don’t think Jackson ever returns to an NBA bench, I don’t think he wants to do the physical grind of the regular season anymore. He wants more the consultant to the GM or president role somewhere. In the mean time, he’ll just write a book and get richer.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48