Jul 13, 2012, 9:25 PM EST
Minnesota continues to clear out some cap space, making plenty of room for Nicolas Batum to sign a four-year, $46 million offer sheet (something he cannot do until Sunday, despite other reports out there). Then the Blazers will match it because they want to keep him and have been very clear about it from Day 1. But the Wolves are dragging this out in hopes that Portland will relent and do a sign and trade. Which is going to happen right after my date with Kate Hudson.
But I digress, the Wolves are making moves.
They have waived Martell Webster on Friday, clearing $5.7 million off their cap. Webster never panned out to be the player the Blazers hoped for, and last year’s 6.9 points per game on 42 percent shooting was underwhelming. That said, someone will sign him as a free agent to be a backup guard.
Minnesota also traded Brad Miller to the New Orleans Hornets for a couple future second round draft picks. Miller is likely to retire anyway.
Batum cannot sign his offer sheet until after Webster clears waivers at 5 p.m. Sunday.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36