Jul 13, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Minnesota continues to clear out some cap space, making plenty of room for Nicolas Batum to sign a four-year, $46 million offer sheet (something he cannot do until Sunday, despite other reports out there). Then the Blazers will match it because they want to keep him and have been very clear about it from Day 1. But the Wolves are dragging this out in hopes that Portland will relent and do a sign and trade. Which is going to happen right after my date with Kate Hudson.
But I digress, the Wolves are making moves.
They have waived Martell Webster on Friday, clearing $5.7 million off their cap. Webster never panned out to be the player the Blazers hoped for, and last year’s 6.9 points per game on 42 percent shooting was underwhelming. That said, someone will sign him as a free agent to be a backup guard.
Minnesota also traded Brad Miller to the New Orleans Hornets for a couple future second round draft picks. Miller is likely to retire anyway.
Batum cannot sign his offer sheet until after Webster clears waivers at 5 p.m. Sunday.
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 0
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 29
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 5
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17