Jul 13, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Dallas fell short in its quest for another elite superstar to go with Dwight Howard this summer, but in the interim they have put together a solid roster. One where most of the players come off the books after this season.
This is the outcome Brand wanted, the chance to go to a good team that was still under the cap. Brand is on the back side of his career but he brings some value — he averaged 11 points and 7.6 rebounds for the Sixers last season and was fairly efficient (he had a PER of 18 this season, 18.5 last season). Sixers fans will be happy to tell you he doesn’t grab a lot of boards and he had some defensive matchup issues because he does not move well laterally. True. And that is glaring if you’re paying a guy $18 million, it’s less bothersome at $2.1 million.
Brand was amnestied by the 76ers to get his $18.2 million off their books. With the winning bid Dallas gets Brand’s services and pays the $2.1 million, Philly will pay the rest. Teams under the salary cap could bid on Brand
Everyone just mentioned not named Dirk comes off the books after this season so the Mavs can make another run at major free agents to be next summer (potentially Chris Paul, Andrew Bynum and Dwight Howard, but there is a long way to go before we see who goes down the free agent path).
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 22
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 4
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9