Jul 13, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
So the Clippers are bringing back a 36-year-old guard who just had a major Achilles injury. Because making Chris Paul happy matters (remember, he’s a free agent next summer).
The Clippers have reached an agreement for Billups to return to the team next season, the team announced on its Web site.
Billups was a stabilizing force for the Clippers in the 20 games he played before suffering a season ending injury. Billups is no longer the player physically that was the 2004 NBA finals MVP, but he gave them 15 points a night and added a calmness and some structure to the Clippers at time frenetic play.
They could have used that in the playoffs. But how much he can contribute going forward remains to be seen. He is working hard at his recovery, that injury is not how he wants a storied career to end.
The Clippers have not put a timetable on Billups return to the court. The usual estimate is a year from the injury, so smart money says after the first of the year.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 2
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 30
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 13
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70