Jul 13, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
So the Clippers are bringing back a 36-year-old guard who just had a major Achilles injury. Because making Chris Paul happy matters (remember, he’s a free agent next summer).
The Clippers have reached an agreement for Billups to return to the team next season, the team announced on its Web site.
Billups was a stabilizing force for the Clippers in the 20 games he played before suffering a season ending injury. Billups is no longer the player physically that was the 2004 NBA finals MVP, but he gave them 15 points a night and added a calmness and some structure to the Clippers at time frenetic play.
They could have used that in the playoffs. But how much he can contribute going forward remains to be seen. He is working hard at his recovery, that injury is not how he wants a storied career to end.
The Clippers have not put a timetable on Billups return to the court. The usual estimate is a year from the injury, so smart money says after the first of the year.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18