Jul 13, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
So the Clippers are bringing back a 36-year-old guard who just had a major Achilles injury. Because making Chris Paul happy matters (remember, he’s a free agent next summer).
The Clippers have reached an agreement for Billups to return to the team next season, the team announced on its Web site.
Billups was a stabilizing force for the Clippers in the 20 games he played before suffering a season ending injury. Billups is no longer the player physically that was the 2004 NBA finals MVP, but he gave them 15 points a night and added a calmness and some structure to the Clippers at time frenetic play.
They could have used that in the playoffs. But how much he can contribute going forward remains to be seen. He is working hard at his recovery, that injury is not how he wants a storied career to end.
The Clippers have not put a timetable on Billups return to the court. The usual estimate is a year from the injury, so smart money says after the first of the year.
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 0
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 17
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 6
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 31
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 31