Jul 13, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
So the Clippers are bringing back a 36-year-old guard who just had a major Achilles injury. Because making Chris Paul happy matters (remember, he’s a free agent next summer).
The Clippers have reached an agreement for Billups to return to the team next season, the team announced on its Web site.
Billups was a stabilizing force for the Clippers in the 20 games he played before suffering a season ending injury. Billups is no longer the player physically that was the 2004 NBA finals MVP, but he gave them 15 points a night and added a calmness and some structure to the Clippers at time frenetic play.
They could have used that in the playoffs. But how much he can contribute going forward remains to be seen. He is working hard at his recovery, that injury is not how he wants a storied career to end.
The Clippers have not put a timetable on Billups return to the court. The usual estimate is a year from the injury, so smart money says after the first of the year.
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 1
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 6
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 30
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 10