Jul 12, 2012, 9:49 AM EST
Anyone surprised that the Nets’ house of cards trade efforts to land Dwight Howard fell apart wasn’t watching closely the past year.
Yes, it got closer this time around, but it took two other teams and 11 players — many on sign-and-trade deals — all to agree just to get it that close. It was a complex deal, and complex deals often fall apart. But because the Magic don’t want what the Nets are offering straight up it took the elaborate construction just to get in the ballpark of a trade.
Now that it’s over, the Nets are figuring out what to do with the pieces they have. They signed Brook Lopez to a max extension. They are discussing Kris Humphries (but he likely moves on). And then there is this note from Sam Amico at Fox Sports Ohio.
The Nets are also said to be aggressively shopping second-year guard MarShon Brooks.
Brooks showed he could play a little as a rookie, scoring 12.3 points per game. But he only shot 42.8 percent and was below average from three — he broke out of the offense and was not an efficient scorer. Like a lot of rookies, he’s still trying to fit his talent into the NBA game.
But he’s going to be a nice player when he does. More than a few teams might be interested in him.
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 0
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15