Jul 12, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
They have cleared the way to make a big four-year, $45 million offer sheet to Portland’s Nicolas Batum. They tried to pressure Portland into a trade and that didn’t work, so they are going to call Portland’s bluff and make them match the offer. Batum is expected to sign it Thursday.
Portland will match. They’ll take their three days to do it, but they will match.
Then what for the T-Wolves? Plan B, says Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.
(Team owner Glen) Taylor said the first priority isn’t necessarily a wing player but “We’ve got to get some big guys.”
They’ve been pursuing Boston restricted free-agent center Greg Stiemsma and Lakers power forward Jordan Hill and it now looks like those bigs will be the priority over a wing. As for those wings, their best options are, in this order:
1. Courtney Lee
2. O.J. Mayo
3. Andre Iguodala
Lee and Mayo are free agents. Iggy would require a trade with Philly and they are going to want a lot in return.
Just some names to watch as the Timberwolves try to put pieces around an impatient Kevin Love.
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 49
- Nets announce signing of Jason Collins for remainder of the season 11
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 30
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 41
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33