Jul 12, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
They have cleared the way to make a big four-year, $45 million offer sheet to Portland’s Nicolas Batum. They tried to pressure Portland into a trade and that didn’t work, so they are going to call Portland’s bluff and make them match the offer. Batum is expected to sign it Thursday.
Portland will match. They’ll take their three days to do it, but they will match.
Then what for the T-Wolves? Plan B, says Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.
(Team owner Glen) Taylor said the first priority isn’t necessarily a wing player but “We’ve got to get some big guys.”
They’ve been pursuing Boston restricted free-agent center Greg Stiemsma and Lakers power forward Jordan Hill and it now looks like those bigs will be the priority over a wing. As for those wings, their best options are, in this order:
1. Courtney Lee
2. O.J. Mayo
3. Andre Iguodala
Lee and Mayo are free agents. Iggy would require a trade with Philly and they are going to want a lot in return.
Just some names to watch as the Timberwolves try to put pieces around an impatient Kevin Love.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42