Jul 12, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
They have cleared the way to make a big four-year, $45 million offer sheet to Portland’s Nicolas Batum. They tried to pressure Portland into a trade and that didn’t work, so they are going to call Portland’s bluff and make them match the offer. Batum is expected to sign it Thursday.
Portland will match. They’ll take their three days to do it, but they will match.
Then what for the T-Wolves? Plan B, says Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.
(Team owner Glen) Taylor said the first priority isn’t necessarily a wing player but “We’ve got to get some big guys.”
They’ve been pursuing Boston restricted free-agent center Greg Stiemsma and Lakers power forward Jordan Hill and it now looks like those bigs will be the priority over a wing. As for those wings, their best options are, in this order:
1. Courtney Lee
2. O.J. Mayo
3. Andre Iguodala
Lee and Mayo are free agents. Iggy would require a trade with Philly and they are going to want a lot in return.
Just some names to watch as the Timberwolves try to put pieces around an impatient Kevin Love.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15