Jul 12, 2012, 8:56 AM EDT
For a veteran like Elton Brand, the process of being amnestied is unnerving — he has lost control of where he will play basketball next season. The Philadelphia 76ers used the amnesty clause on him to get the $18 million he is owed off their books (he still gets paid, it just doesn’t count against the cap). Now teams under the salary cap can bid to pick up a part of his salary and the highest bid gets Brand’s services for the year.
Brand was officially amnestied by the 76ers on Wednesday evening, the first player it has happened to this season. In the next 48 hours the secret bidding process takes place.
And Brand knows which team he wants to win it, reports David Aldridge of NBA.com.
Free-agent forward Elton Brand is hoping the Dallas Mavericks submit the winning bid for his services among eligible teams and claim him off of amnesty waivers, according to a source close to the 33-year-old…
League sources indicated that at least three teams with room, the Cavaliers, Bucks and Raptors, would not be making bids on Brand. The Suns and Hornets were contemplating making a bid, according to other league sources. But teams are leery of making bids if Brand doesn’t want to play there…
The Mavericks, the source close to Brand said, provide the best fit among the teams under the cap. They are well-coached and have an obvious superstar in Dirk Nowitzki.
Like everyone, he wants to go to a good team. He has no control over this, but he may well still get his wish.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 0
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 28
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5