Jul 12, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
But that’s what the Pacers have done (and got backup center Ian Mahinmi in the process).
Here’s how it went down. On Wednesday the Pacers traded Collison to Dallas for Mahinmi. On Thursday, the Bobcats reached a one-year deal with Ramon Sessions to play point guard for them (along with Kemba Walker). That led the Bobcats to quickly pull their qualifying offer to Augustin, reported Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Pacers needed a backup PG and jumped on it fast, reported Mike Wells of the Indy Star. It didn’t take long and he was tweeting this.
Pacers have agreed to a 1 year deal with DJ Augustin, according to a source.
That is a one-year, $3.5 million deal. Collison, who had been with the team, will make $2.3 million. And Collison had been a part of this team and is a better shooter.
Augustin will make a fine backup in Indiana. He’s solid. But was the extra money and step back in shooting in backup point guard worth it to get Mahinmi? Depends on if you still believe in Mahinmi’s potential.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 11
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23