Jul 12, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
But that’s what the Pacers have done (and got backup center Ian Mahinmi in the process).
Here’s how it went down. On Wednesday the Pacers traded Collison to Dallas for Mahinmi. On Thursday, the Bobcats reached a one-year deal with Ramon Sessions to play point guard for them (along with Kemba Walker). That led the Bobcats to quickly pull their qualifying offer to Augustin, reported Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Pacers needed a backup PG and jumped on it fast, reported Mike Wells of the Indy Star. It didn’t take long and he was tweeting this.
Pacers have agreed to a 1 year deal with DJ Augustin, according to a source.
That is a one-year, $3.5 million deal. Collison, who had been with the team, will make $2.3 million. And Collison had been a part of this team and is a better shooter.
Augustin will make a fine backup in Indiana. He’s solid. But was the extra money and step back in shooting in backup point guard worth it to get Mahinmi? Depends on if you still believe in Mahinmi’s potential.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 6
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars