Jul 12, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
This is not good, but hopefully not that severe.
Blake Griffin has left Team USA to return to Los Angeles and get an MRI on his knee after tweaking it in Wednesday’s Team USA scrimmage, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. The severity of the injury is not yet known. But it was serious enough that team doctors and not the Team USA staff is getting a look at it.
Blake Griffin injured his left knee, the same one that he sprained during the Clippers playoff run, source tells Y! Sports.
Team USA was already short on big men, with Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chris Bosh having all pulled out off the games due to injuries. Griffin was kept on the team over recent No. 1 pick Anthony Davis, but Davis also is not at 100 percent due to a sprained ankle. Still, Davis has been called back to training camp, Woj reports.
It is too late for Team USA to add someone like DeMarcus Cousins to the team because rosters have already been submitted to the Olympic organizers and things like drug testing of athletes has already started.
Let’s hope this is nothing serious. Griffin just signed a max five-year, $95 million extension with the Clippers on Wednesday.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 20
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead