Jul 11, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
Brook Lopez is going to be the starting center opening up the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, not playing in Orlando next fall.
But don’t think the Nets chasing of Dwight Howard is over just yet.
The Nets have reached an agreement with Brook Lopez, according to multiple reports (Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News was first). It is a four-year, $61 million deal, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Lopez was the centerpiece of the Nets efforts to trade for Howard. By signing him themselves, the Nets cannot trade him until Jan. 15. But they can after that. If Lopez had signed an offer sheet with Portland or Charlotte (two teams rumored to be interested) and the Nets had matched then the Nets could not have traded him for a year.
The Nets will try and rejoin the Howard trade talks if the center is still on the Magic roster come Jan. 15. But now there is a window for the Rockets, Lakers or some other team to try and get in and take Howard.
The Magic have suspended trade talks for Howard as they try to reassess where things stand and what they can get for the superstar.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?