Jul 11, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT
Indiana is a team on the rise in the East, but they have come to the conclusion point guard Darren Collison is not part of that future.
So they have traded him to the Mavericks, a story broken by Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress (via twitter):
Indiana will acquire Ian Mahinmi (4-years, 16 million) in a sign and trade with Dallas. Darren Collison and Danhtay Jones go to Dallas.
The Pacers get a solid backup big man to play behind Roy Hibbert. Mahinmi gave Dallas 18 minutes a game, 5.8 points (on 54 percent shooting) and 4.7 rebounds a game. The Frenchman is fairly athletic and is improving.
That said, they traded a less expensive, quality point guard for a back-up-big. Don’t really love this for Indy.
It leaves a hole at starting point guard but George Hill will step into it. The Pacers also are looking into trading for D.J. Augustine.
For the Mavericks, they pick up a quality point guard who is in the last year of his deal (making $2.3 million). He will start for them but neither he nor just acquired center Chris Kaman have contracts that go beyond this year, so Dallas can be big players in the free agent market next summer.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 44
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4