Jul 11, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT
Indiana is a team on the rise in the East, but they have come to the conclusion point guard Darren Collison is not part of that future.
So they have traded him to the Mavericks, a story broken by Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress (via twitter):
Indiana will acquire Ian Mahinmi (4-years, 16 million) in a sign and trade with Dallas. Darren Collison and Danhtay Jones go to Dallas.
The Pacers get a solid backup big man to play behind Roy Hibbert. Mahinmi gave Dallas 18 minutes a game, 5.8 points (on 54 percent shooting) and 4.7 rebounds a game. The Frenchman is fairly athletic and is improving.
That said, they traded a less expensive, quality point guard for a back-up-big. Don’t really love this for Indy.
It leaves a hole at starting point guard but George Hill will step into it. The Pacers also are looking into trading for D.J. Augustine.
For the Mavericks, they pick up a quality point guard who is in the last year of his deal (making $2.3 million). He will start for them but neither he nor just acquired center Chris Kaman have contracts that go beyond this year, so Dallas can be big players in the free agent market next summer.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 1
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 64
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10