Jul 11, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT
Indiana is a team on the rise in the East, but they have come to the conclusion point guard Darren Collison is not part of that future.
So they have traded him to the Mavericks, a story broken by Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress (via twitter):
Indiana will acquire Ian Mahinmi (4-years, 16 million) in a sign and trade with Dallas. Darren Collison and Danhtay Jones go to Dallas.
The Pacers get a solid backup big man to play behind Roy Hibbert. Mahinmi gave Dallas 18 minutes a game, 5.8 points (on 54 percent shooting) and 4.7 rebounds a game. The Frenchman is fairly athletic and is improving.
That said, they traded a less expensive, quality point guard for a back-up-big. Don’t really love this for Indy.
It leaves a hole at starting point guard but George Hill will step into it. The Pacers also are looking into trading for D.J. Augustine.
For the Mavericks, they pick up a quality point guard who is in the last year of his deal (making $2.3 million). He will start for them but neither he nor just acquired center Chris Kaman have contracts that go beyond this year, so Dallas can be big players in the free agent market next summer.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50