Jul 11, 2012, 8:56 PM EST
Indiana is a team on the rise in the East, but they have come to the conclusion point guard Darren Collison is not part of that future.
So they have traded him to the Mavericks, a story broken by Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress (via twitter):
Indiana will acquire Ian Mahinmi (4-years, 16 million) in a sign and trade with Dallas. Darren Collison and Danhtay Jones go to Dallas.
The Pacers get a solid backup big man to play behind Roy Hibbert. Mahinmi gave Dallas 18 minutes a game, 5.8 points (on 54 percent shooting) and 4.7 rebounds a game. The Frenchman is fairly athletic and is improving.
That said, they traded a less expensive, quality point guard for a back-up-big. Don’t really love this for Indy.
It leaves a hole at starting point guard but George Hill will step into it. The Pacers also are looking into trading for D.J. Augustine.
For the Mavericks, they pick up a quality point guard who is in the last year of his deal (making $2.3 million). He will start for them but neither he nor just acquired center Chris Kaman have contracts that go beyond this year, so Dallas can be big players in the free agent market next summer.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 6
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10