Jul 11, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT
Indiana is a team on the rise in the East, but they have come to the conclusion point guard Darren Collison is not part of that future.
So they have traded him to the Mavericks, a story broken by Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress (via twitter):
Indiana will acquire Ian Mahinmi (4-years, 16 million) in a sign and trade with Dallas. Darren Collison and Danhtay Jones go to Dallas.
The Pacers get a solid backup big man to play behind Roy Hibbert. Mahinmi gave Dallas 18 minutes a game, 5.8 points (on 54 percent shooting) and 4.7 rebounds a game. The Frenchman is fairly athletic and is improving.
That said, they traded a less expensive, quality point guard for a back-up-big. Don’t really love this for Indy.
It leaves a hole at starting point guard but George Hill will step into it. The Pacers also are looking into trading for D.J. Augustine.
For the Mavericks, they pick up a quality point guard who is in the last year of his deal (making $2.3 million). He will start for them but neither he nor just acquired center Chris Kaman have contracts that go beyond this year, so Dallas can be big players in the free agent market next summer.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 18
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23