Report: Nets move back to front of line for Dwight Howard trade

Jul 11, 2012, 1:55 PM EST

Dwight Howard AP

At some point the roulette wheel will stop spinning, the ball will stop bouncing around and find it’s slot, and Dwight Howard is going to get traded. Promise. It’s going to happen someday.

While it feels close, like it could happen today, we’re not there yet.

For now, the Nets have moved back to the front of the line in talks, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.

After spending most of Tuesday negotiating with Rockets and Lakers, Orlando has re-engaged Brooklyn today, league sources tell Y! Sports.

At this point we are talking a two-team trade between them with Brook Lopez and some picks heading back to Orlando, and with the Magic also trying to unload the contract of Jason Richardson.

The Nets are putting pressure on the Magic to get a deal done on Wednesday, because they need to make a move one way or another with Brook Lopez — he is a free agent and other teams are showing interest in him now that the markets for big men has thinned out. Specifically, the Trail Blazers and Bobcats have reportedly readied offers.

Once the Nets sign Lopez, he cannot be part of a trade (until Dec. 15). The Nets need to move one way or another soon.

Lopez and the Nets have agreed to four max years and are working out the details of the fifth year, Wojnarowski reports. Nets GM Billy King will try to keep Lopez on the hook for most of the day, but if the trade for Howard falls through the Nets will lock up Lopez. At too high a price, but they will have him.

The Magic continue to talk to the Rockets, Lakers and other teams. But the Nets are back at the front of the que.

The Nets just want to get this done one way or another. Which would be good for all of us, we’re ready for this to end.

1. chex1868 - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Remember the movie “The NeverEnding Story”?

2. zacksdad - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

How does his statement mean they move to the front of the line. His very next tweet is:

“To be clear on Magic, they remain in talks with several teams, including the Nets, Rockets, Lakers and assuredly more.”

Are you just trying making more out of a story or just have trouble reading.

3. dylude - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I’m calling East Coast bias on this one to say that they are at the TOP OF THE LIST.

This is standard operating procedure. You get an offer from one team as much as you can get, then you go back to the other team and try to get more.

I love your articles Kurt, but can you provide a single reason why the Nets offer is at the top of Orlando’s list? It’s the SAME offer they have been rejecting until you report otherwise…. Am I wrong?

• slopmcflop - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Because no one else wants to really offer what the Magic want to hear, especially for a one year rental.

Howard wants to play for the Nets, and the Nets want Howard. That makes the Nets the most sensible trade scenario as far as getting this thing pushed through. If you’re the Magic, and you want to unload Howard for at least SOMETHING, the Nets are about the only team that will pony up at this point. That’s the reason why Orlando has to keep coming back to them, even though it’s been the same trader offer for a year. Nets know they kinda have the power in this one.

4. fiyeaglesfiy - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM

The ripple effect from that terrible Travis Outlaw signing when the Nets missed out on the Lebron sweepstakes..I wonder if the Nets still had the ability to amnesty a player if this would already be a done deal?

5. markcsii - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It’s queue, Kurt.

Not Spanish for what.

• obijuan13 - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM

At least he didn’t put Cue.

6. ningenito78 - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Dylude- you must not understand what ‘east coast bias’ means. It doesn’t mean you not liking what you hear pertaining to trade rumors. Facts are facts. East coast bias means things like major tv outlets reporting and showing more east coast teams, picking of all star teams, greatest moments, blah blah blah. It has nothing to do with the reporting of facts.

7. raidmagic - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Please no…this is all bad for Orlando. You can’t build around Lopez. He’d be a nice piece for a team that’s close but for a team that needs a complete rebuild he on a max contract is all bad.

• finfanrb23 - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I agree, as much as we all hate the Lakers for taking Shaq Diesel in the 90s I hope we send him there…. I’d much rather have the picks (regardless if its LA or Brooklyn they will be high picks) and expiring contracts than the picks and Lopez on a max deal.

• yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM

High picks from LA or BK? I thought LA didn’t have any to give after Nash.

Regardless if its from LA or BK they will end up being late first rounders at best, might as well be high second round picks.

• slopmcflop - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I don’t think ORL has much of a choice. They’re getting lowballed because everyone knows they want to dump Howard. At this point, you’d have to figure they want any deal other than what the Nets have, but aren’t finding willing suitors.

Nobody wants a guy on the team that doesn’t want to be there. It’s no good for the locker room and chemistry, and the media will constantly badger anyone and everyone about the fact. That’ll create tension as well. That’s why teams are unwilling to pull the trigger on a Howard deal if they know he’ll bounce ASAP.

I get the feeling it’s Brooklyn or bust for Howard and the Magic. But who knows, I could see him going anywhere that offers picks and/or a spot for Hedo/JRich’s contracts. All I do know, is that I’m ready for this to be done. No matter what, bet you Howard gets booed nearly every game this year. Fans are tired of this crap.

8. censoredpost - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Make it happen captain. Lopez is limited, damaged goods. Max deals(or near) are common for bigs but Lopez has feet made of glass. That being said, go get em Orlando, I have no problem with you driving up the price with the a lil Laker pillow talk.. Just don’t send him here. Biggest Ahole in the NBA. Not that we wouldn’t win with him, I just don’t like him.

9. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I just heard him on WFAN NYC about 15-20 minutes ago and he said DW to the BK Nets didn’t look good.

• khuxford - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM

DW? Deron Williams is going to go to court to get out of the contract he signed? Wow!

10. crtzinc - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM

How are the nets at the front of the line? Simply because the Nets feel the urgency to get a deal done for Dwight today how does that affect the Magic’s thinking? Even if Lopez does agree to a sign and trade, are we automatically assuming Humphries will sign for a one year offer with Cleveland if they magically jump back in this thing? I personally think Houston is in the drivers seat because they do not care for a long term extension. However, I am hoping Dwight goes to the Lakers and Bynum to Houston with Orlando getting picks, cash, young players, salary relief.

• crtzinc - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Time to change the headline to Nets deal with Brooklyn officially Dead. Step up Lakers and close this deal for Dwight Now.

11. obijuan13 - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

PULL THE TRIGGER ALREADY!!!!!!

12. rezdawg - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

He’s going to Houston…its been blatantly obvious for 2 weeks now.

13. dylude - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Ningenito—

Are you flipping serious?

My ENTIRE post was questioning the proposed FACT that the Nets are at the front of the list or top of the queue.

I asked for a single reason that that is a fact. Otherwise, it’s a statement bolstered by rumor = east coast bias.

I offered a simple explanation for why they are talking to the Nets but there is nothing different about what the Nets are offering now than what they’ve been offering for an entire year. So why on Earth are they front runner today? I want FACTS and that’s what I’m asking for.

The only fact in this story is that they are talking. I acknowledge that and offered the easiest reason why…. To leverage a better deal from Houston/LAL.

14. thatstinks - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM

The Nets are putting on the pressure ? Pony up or back of the line . Your not trading for Hedo Turkoglu . Orlando has a lot of bad contracts and man is your owner rich . Getter done and let this silliness end !

15. ashutto20 - Jul 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

As much as I hate this whole thing why dont the nets wait it out until next season when they can get howard thru free agency…teams find ways to add players and I’m sure they could figure it out

• slopmcflop - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Nets wouldn’t be able to afford to sign him as a free agent thanks to the big contracts they’ve picked up at this point. They have to get him through trade or not at all.

16. dylude - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I called BS on this story from the very beginning.

The Nets offer never got any better so why would they all of a sudden be at the top of the queue or front of the line.

This was a non story and I respect Kirt Helin too much not to say anything and chalk it up as rumor.

This was never a story. It was a leverage game. I’m in my 20’s and I know thats how the NBA works so I just expect more from professional journalists who I respect.

17. dylude - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM

What I’ve been saying is finally official… NETS ARE OUT OF THE RUNNING FOR HOWARD

Their offer never got better so they were NEVER at the front of the line. (That’s the lack of fact ningentio)

This article is 95% FALSE.

Do better Kurt, you’re one of my favorites.

• slopmcflop - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Dude what are you even talking about right now? The Nets were constantly frontrunners in the trade because Howard had said he would always sign a long term contract with them, effectively forcing Orlando to keep in talks with the Nets, and that’s why the Nets didn’t feel the need to sweeten the deal.

As I’ve stated before, nobody will throw out a king’s ransom for a one year rental, and that’s why the Magic weren’t able to get a deal they wanted to pull the trigger on. Howard’s stupidity (picking up his option) and refusal to go anywhere else but the Nets is what killed the deal.

You’re spamming the page, citing your own age like it’s supposed to matter (it doesn’t) and are coming across as very petty right now.

• CJ - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM

he says he’s in his 20’s like that gives you credibility anywhere? come on dude, really? Now I’m rooting for DH to go to the Nets just to see what this guy has to say.

18. bougin89 - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

If I’m Orlando at this point I think I take a trade that sheds the most horrible contracts possible(Hedo, Richardson, Davis, Duhon, etc) and gets them expiring contracts and draft picks regardless who they are from. Getting Bynum or Lopez as a core piece is great but at this point I would just assume you tear it all down and rebuild. The best way to do that is through the draft and it will suck to be a lottery team for a year or two but thats your best bet to turn this team into a legit contender.

Regardless, the longer they wait to make a trade, they are only screwing themselves.

19. dylude - Jul 11, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Even someone who hasn’t been watching basketball as long as these writers have been writing about it was shrewd enough to see that the Nets never made an offer Orlando was interested in before and after Cleveland pulled out. Maybe they were front runners during Cleveland sending an extra pick but the Magic NEVER LIKED THE NETS PROPOSAL.

It’s plain and simple. This story was wrong when it was written and I called out the author bc I respect him.

It’s always been about getting more

20. charlutes - Jul 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

For the hundredth time there is no line. trade him to new jersey or lose him for nothing. those are literally the only two options. done. stop it.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches