Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
And once again, the Orlando Magic have called a time out.
Sources: Orlando Magic have informed Dwight Howard that they are suspending trade talks in favor of finding next head coach.
Multiple sources now confirm this. However, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan said that was “not accurate.” However he did say in a press conference in regards to conversations with the Nets:
“As currently constructed, there’s not much there.”
That sounds pretty dead to me. By the way, the coaching search thing is a ruse, the Magic could do trade talks and a coaching search if they wanted to. Clearly they do not because they do not like the offers out there (or can’t sign the guys they do like such as Andrew Bynum).
This feels like what happened closer to the trade deadline in February when the Magic couldn’t find an offer they liked and pulled back. (At that time Orlando was trying to keep Howard, so he removed his player option to become a free agent this summer, something Howard now regrets.)
This means the trade with Nets broke down, which is not a surprise they haven’t been able to reach a deal for a year.
This means the Nets will sign Brook Lopez and move on.
This all means the circus of the Dwight Howard trade scenarios will return at some future date (start of training camp, into next season). This is just a hiatus. The Lakers, Rockets and other teams will be back in the mix, but
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 9
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 24
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9
- PBT Extra: Clash of styles favors Warriors over Grizzlies 4
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Golden State Warriors vs. Memphis Grizzlies 3
- PBT Extra: Bulls have shot to upset Cavaliers 16