Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
And once again, the Orlando Magic have called a time out.
Sources: Orlando Magic have informed Dwight Howard that they are suspending trade talks in favor of finding next head coach.
Multiple sources now confirm this. However, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan said that was “not accurate.” However he did say in a press conference in regards to conversations with the Nets:
“As currently constructed, there’s not much there.”
That sounds pretty dead to me. By the way, the coaching search thing is a ruse, the Magic could do trade talks and a coaching search if they wanted to. Clearly they do not because they do not like the offers out there (or can’t sign the guys they do like such as Andrew Bynum).
This feels like what happened closer to the trade deadline in February when the Magic couldn’t find an offer they liked and pulled back. (At that time Orlando was trying to keep Howard, so he removed his player option to become a free agent this summer, something Howard now regrets.)
This means the trade with Nets broke down, which is not a surprise they haven’t been able to reach a deal for a year.
This means the Nets will sign Brook Lopez and move on.
This all means the circus of the Dwight Howard trade scenarios will return at some future date (start of training camp, into next season). This is just a hiatus. The Lakers, Rockets and other teams will be back in the mix, but
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49