Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EST
And once again, the Orlando Magic have called a time out.
Sources: Orlando Magic have informed Dwight Howard that they are suspending trade talks in favor of finding next head coach.
Multiple sources now confirm this. However, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan said that was “not accurate.” However he did say in a press conference in regards to conversations with the Nets:
“As currently constructed, there’s not much there.”
That sounds pretty dead to me. By the way, the coaching search thing is a ruse, the Magic could do trade talks and a coaching search if they wanted to. Clearly they do not because they do not like the offers out there (or can’t sign the guys they do like such as Andrew Bynum).
This feels like what happened closer to the trade deadline in February when the Magic couldn’t find an offer they liked and pulled back. (At that time Orlando was trying to keep Howard, so he removed his player option to become a free agent this summer, something Howard now regrets.)
This means the trade with Nets broke down, which is not a surprise they haven’t been able to reach a deal for a year.
This means the Nets will sign Brook Lopez and move on.
This all means the circus of the Dwight Howard trade scenarios will return at some future date (start of training camp, into next season). This is just a hiatus. The Lakers, Rockets and other teams will be back in the mix, but
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 2
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8