Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 PM EST
And once again, the Orlando Magic have called a time out.
Sources: Orlando Magic have informed Dwight Howard that they are suspending trade talks in favor of finding next head coach.
Multiple sources now confirm this. However, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan said that was “not accurate.” However he did say in a press conference in regards to conversations with the Nets:
“As currently constructed, there’s not much there.”
That sounds pretty dead to me. By the way, the coaching search thing is a ruse, the Magic could do trade talks and a coaching search if they wanted to. Clearly they do not because they do not like the offers out there (or can’t sign the guys they do like such as Andrew Bynum).
This feels like what happened closer to the trade deadline in February when the Magic couldn’t find an offer they liked and pulled back. (At that time Orlando was trying to keep Howard, so he removed his player option to become a free agent this summer, something Howard now regrets.)
This means the trade with Nets broke down, which is not a surprise they haven’t been able to reach a deal for a year.
This means the Nets will sign Brook Lopez and move on.
This all means the circus of the Dwight Howard trade scenarios will return at some future date (start of training camp, into next season). This is just a hiatus. The Lakers, Rockets and other teams will be back in the mix, but
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14