Jul 11, 2012, 8:59 AM EDT
He’s not O.J. Mayo, but he’s going to get his chance to fill that role.
Last week the Toronto Raptors cut Jerryd Bayless lose and now the Memphis Grizzlies have stepped up and reached a two-year deal with the guard, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. Terms of the deal were not yet known.
Bayless had his best season as a pro last year, giving the Raptors 11.4 points and 3.8 assists per game with an above average PER of 17.7. He shot 42.3 percent from three and did a lot of damage from there in the Raptors offense, the looks will be different in the Grizzlies system but they could use the long-range help.
Mayo is leaving the Grizzlies as a free agent, although his final landing spot has yet to be determined, a number of teams are still negotiating with him.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 32
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 32
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18