Jul 11, 2012, 8:59 AM EDT
He’s not O.J. Mayo, but he’s going to get his chance to fill that role.
Last week the Toronto Raptors cut Jerryd Bayless lose and now the Memphis Grizzlies have stepped up and reached a two-year deal with the guard, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. Terms of the deal were not yet known.
Bayless had his best season as a pro last year, giving the Raptors 11.4 points and 3.8 assists per game with an above average PER of 17.7. He shot 42.3 percent from three and did a lot of damage from there in the Raptors offense, the looks will be different in the Grizzlies system but they could use the long-range help.
Mayo is leaving the Grizzlies as a free agent, although his final landing spot has yet to be determined, a number of teams are still negotiating with him.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'