Jul 11, 2012, 8:59 AM EST
He’s not O.J. Mayo, but he’s going to get his chance to fill that role.
Last week the Toronto Raptors cut Jerryd Bayless lose and now the Memphis Grizzlies have stepped up and reached a two-year deal with the guard, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. Terms of the deal were not yet known.
Bayless had his best season as a pro last year, giving the Raptors 11.4 points and 3.8 assists per game with an above average PER of 17.7. He shot 42.3 percent from three and did a lot of damage from there in the Raptors offense, the looks will be different in the Grizzlies system but they could use the long-range help.
Mayo is leaving the Grizzlies as a free agent, although his final landing spot has yet to be determined, a number of teams are still negotiating with him.
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 1
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 17
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 8
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 32
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 31