Jul 11, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
Intellectually, Kevin Durant knows this is how it goes. He knows what he is doing now is representing the United States.
But after battling LeBron James for the NBA championship and falling short just a few weeks ago, Durant admits it’s not that easy to turn around and be teammates. It annoys him, he told the AP.
“It does, but what can I do?” Durant said Tuesday. “He’s my teammate now. I’m a team player. I can’t let that affect this. This is bigger than that. It’s tough to lose in the Finals and play the guy you’ve been going up against for five games who beat you. So me, I’m just going to get over it, still be a great teammate, come out and play hard.”
I like that Durant can’t just flip the switch and turn off his competitive nature. I like that he’s still bitter about losing in the finals. Thunder fans should like it, too, because their team is going to come back hungrier next season.
And by the tine Durant sees LeBron open for a corner three in London, they will be past it. These guys both know what really matters.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record