Report: Rashard Lewis near deal to join Miami Heat

Jul 10, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT

Rashard Lewis Wizards Getty Images

UPDATE 6:11 pm: According to Brian Windhorst at ESPN this is a two-year deal worth $2.8 million. Other reports have suggested the second year of the deal is a player option.

Not expensive. Still not a huge risk. But in that second year if he doesn’t pan out the Heat could have really used that roster slot for someone else. We will see.

UPDATE  5:06 pm: All sorts of reports came flying in after we posted this that the deal is more than just close, it’s agreed to. Marc Spears of Yahoo reports this as a two year deal, but I have to think the second year is a team option. If it’s not the Heat really are making a mistake. One year at the veteran’s minimum is a no-risk move for the Heat, two is a mistake.

4:52 pm: How much does Rashard Lewis have in the tank?

The Miami Heat appear willing to pay the veteran’s minimum to see if the quinticential stretch four still has a few three balls left, tweets Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

People I’ve talked to today believe it’s very likely Rashard Lewis will end up in Miami for the $1.35 million veteran’s minimum.

The two sides have been meeting and there is a fit. Seriously. I saw you just roll your eyes, but you need to make a distinction between Rashard Lewis the guy with the worst contract in the league and Rashard Lewis the player. He is not worth near the $22.7 million he was to get paid for next season, which is why the Hornets bought him out (after trading for him). He wasn’t worth the $13.7 million buyout either but they saved $9 mil.

But that is different than saying he is a bad player. The questions are is he healthy and can he regain his form? This is a career 38.8 percent shooter from three who fell off to 23 percent last season, while he was battling knee injuries. He plays a smart game, if he’s back he can help a team. Not star, but help.

If healthy and able to get up and down the court for 15 minutes a night, he becomes another guy who can come off the bench in Miami and knock down threes. Which is good fro them and bad for everyone else. One year at the vets minimum is not a big risk for Miami.

Lewis also had talks with the Knicks and Hawks before working out the South Beach deal.

1. ajpurp - Jul 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I don’t make fun of the inability to spell or the tendency to make up words, but it does sometimes confound me. I mean don’t these guys use a smartphone, iPad or a word processor to type these things, shouldn’t they show the red line underneath misspelled words or at least auto correct? I mean I know for a fact word won’t let you spit out a fro in the wrong place without letting you know about it.

2. chiadam - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Quinticential is a perfectly cromulent word.

3. cordellgc - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM

wait, didn’t he bang lebron’s girl? are they going to sign delonte west 2

4. turnmymicup - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Pat Riley is the best ever. I love being a Miami fan. I thought we were good in 06 when we won the ‘ship but I see now why we have one of the top organizations in the NBA. Little money to play with but some how find a way to piss the world off this offseason. No matter what people say our front office plays by the rules. Their just better at doing it than the others. 2010 will go down as one of the best free agent periods. Year after that we pick up Shane Batter. Tons of haters downplayed his importance until the end. Now we get Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. WHAT?! Miami fans across the world are smiling today. Everyone else scratches their head wondering how Riley does it. Haters will say these players aren’t who they used to be. True but thats the beauty about the whole thing they don’t have to be! Just play their roles and they will fit in perfectly. Imagine 6’10 Lewis and 6’11 Bosh in the corners spreading the floor. While Wade, LeBron, and Allen run around the court causing havoc. Don’t worry I just crapped my pants too. Getting NBA League pass for sure. LETS GO HEAT!

5. deeballer - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Gotta love all the doubters out there. The fact is that they got better after winning a championship. There’s still more moves to made as well so Riley isn’t done yet.

• deeballer - Jul 11, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Dang it, I hate it when I miss a word. I meant moves to be made. Everyone is so critical about grammar and spelling in here.

6. fanz928 - Jul 11, 2012 at 7:58 AM

He’s old in his prime this guy is a beast go watch his sonic days

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches