Jul 10, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Priority No. 1 for the Washington Wizards had to be changing the locker room culture. It made judging players impossible. As yourself this question: If Rajon Rondo was drafted to Wizards and John Wall came out of college paired with the veteran leaders in Boston, how would they be different players now?
So Washington has made its moves. JaVale McGee is gone, Nene is in. Character guys are starting to fill out the roster.
Which leaves the question of what to do with Andray Blatche? One way or another, Marc Stein of ESPN tweets the Wizards may want him gone.
Amnesty scuttle: Hearing Wiz giving “renewed consideration” to releasing Andray Blatche through amnesty clause during July 11-17 window… Wiz obviously don’t want to eat $23+ mil still owed Blatche. But they also want to move on w/out him & know trade would be near-miraculous
In other words Wiz have ’til July 17 to keep scouring for Blatche trade. Wiz choice then, I’m told, is amnesty or pay Blatche to stay home
I think we’ve learned in the last few years that no NBA contract is untradeable. But Blatche’s is about as close as it gets — three years and more than $23 million remain on his deal. For a guy with a lot of raw talent but who doesn’t seem to respect the game or his gifts.
Amnesty makes more sense – sometimes you just need to bite the bullet. But we will see.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to oversee basketball operations 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 13
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14