Jul 10, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Priority No. 1 for the Washington Wizards had to be changing the locker room culture. It made judging players impossible. As yourself this question: If Rajon Rondo was drafted to Wizards and John Wall came out of college paired with the veteran leaders in Boston, how would they be different players now?
So Washington has made its moves. JaVale McGee is gone, Nene is in. Character guys are starting to fill out the roster.
Which leaves the question of what to do with Andray Blatche? One way or another, Marc Stein of ESPN tweets the Wizards may want him gone.
Amnesty scuttle: Hearing Wiz giving “renewed consideration” to releasing Andray Blatche through amnesty clause during July 11-17 window… Wiz obviously don’t want to eat $23+ mil still owed Blatche. But they also want to move on w/out him & know trade would be near-miraculous
In other words Wiz have ’til July 17 to keep scouring for Blatche trade. Wiz choice then, I’m told, is amnesty or pay Blatche to stay home
I think we’ve learned in the last few years that no NBA contract is untradeable. But Blatche’s is about as close as it gets — three years and more than $23 million remain on his deal. For a guy with a lot of raw talent but who doesn’t seem to respect the game or his gifts.
Amnesty makes more sense – sometimes you just need to bite the bullet. But we will see.
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 14
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 6
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0