Jul 10, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Priority No. 1 for the Washington Wizards had to be changing the locker room culture. It made judging players impossible. As yourself this question: If Rajon Rondo was drafted to Wizards and John Wall came out of college paired with the veteran leaders in Boston, how would they be different players now?
So Washington has made its moves. JaVale McGee is gone, Nene is in. Character guys are starting to fill out the roster.
Which leaves the question of what to do with Andray Blatche? One way or another, Marc Stein of ESPN tweets the Wizards may want him gone.
Amnesty scuttle: Hearing Wiz giving “renewed consideration” to releasing Andray Blatche through amnesty clause during July 11-17 window… Wiz obviously don’t want to eat $23+ mil still owed Blatche. But they also want to move on w/out him & know trade would be near-miraculous
In other words Wiz have ’til July 17 to keep scouring for Blatche trade. Wiz choice then, I’m told, is amnesty or pay Blatche to stay home
I think we’ve learned in the last few years that no NBA contract is untradeable. But Blatche’s is about as close as it gets — three years and more than $23 million remain on his deal. For a guy with a lot of raw talent but who doesn’t seem to respect the game or his gifts.
Amnesty makes more sense – sometimes you just need to bite the bullet. But we will see.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9