Report: Biedrins faces tax evasion charges in native Latvia

Jul 10, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT

Andris Biedrins AP

It isn’t just Andris Biedrins’ free throw stroke that has gone missing.

Apparently some of the tax money owed by the Warriors big man back in his native Latvia also has gone missing — and we know how governments feel about that. CSNBayArea.com has the story.

Aiga Senberga, a spokeswoman for the Latvian state prosecutor’s office, told AFP that a case has been launched against Biedrins.

Latvia’s State Revenue Service said the case, which revolves around the alleged creation of a bogus leisure-hire company as a work-around to avoid paying taxes on a Malibu Wakesetter boat, could last three years.

Biedrins is being charged with two other people for evading taxes on 11,500 lats, or $20,000. If found guilty, the offenses could carry jail time of up to five years.

I make no comment on the validity of the charge, I can explain Latvian tax law about as well as I can explain why people listen to Lady Gaga. But I do know governments the world over get really serious if they don’t get their cut. Biedrins made $9 million last season, you would think he could swing the bill. We’ll keep an eye on this.

1. ndirishfan1 - Jul 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I was going to make a joke about the Warriors just writing checks to the Latvian government when they decide to amnesty Biedrins and it would have been a funny joke.

Then I realized the Warriors had instead amnestied Charlie Bell who was set to make 4.5 million less than Biedrins last season and would’ve already been a free agent. So either way I guess I still got a chuckle.

2. rdav29 - Jul 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Especially the Latvian Orthodox…just ask G. Kostanza

3. seanb20124 - Jul 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

If not extraditable offense, he should tell Latvia to jog off

4. rajbais - Jul 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Prior to this he was facing payroll evading charges in Golden State.

5. censoredpost - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Yea they are going to charge him.. Guaranteed he turns it into a blocking foul. Sigh.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches